when you travel to NCI for a trial - assistance

Olga
Admin

when you travel to NCI for a trial - assistance

Post by Olga »

Posted by DottyW » Sun May 15, 2011 5:26 pm in cediranib topic:

Re: Question about NIH Trial transportation & housing expenses
All,
NIH reimburses travel at a rate that they figure out from some formula,it's probably on the website. They also credit about $50 a day for hotel as I recall. They also give a small stipend for meals. The case worker gives you a voucher after each visit which has to be taken to the voucher office for processing.
If a patient is under 25 they can stay at the Children's Inn free. Jordanne and I have stayed there for most of her visits. I know that Mario stayed there as well. The Inn is a wonderful place supported by many of the drug companies. The staff is wonderful. You clean your own room each visit before leaving. Both inns have shuttle to and from Building 10 which you simply call for.
A couple of times, we were bumped and had to find a hotel nearby. They have a list of hotels that give NIH rates. They also have a list of hotels that are on the shuttle route to NIH so you don't have to pay for taxis or wait for the taxi driver to go through security every time. They try to make it as convenient as they can.
If a patient is admitted to the hospital there, the family can stay at the Saffra Family Lodge on campus. I believe that this is also free.
When you first start on the trial, a social worker walks you through all of these things. They also have a lot of informaiton on thier websites. There are free shuttles from the 3 DC area airports, Baltimore, Reagan Natl and Dulles. If you work your travel right you won't have to wait long for one. There is also a travel office at NIH that will book flights for you. We have always done our own. A taxi from BWI (Baltimore) costs almost $100 so it's definitely worth catching the shuttle. We generally fly into Baltimore because the cost is generally less if we use the shuttle. We have to leave Seattle at the crack of dawn to make it there before the last shuttle of the day.
I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Dotty
Olga

Return to “Travel assistance”