introduction - Axitinib and Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) in Miami is now open

Olga
Admin

introduction - Axitinib and Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) in Miami is now open

Post by Olga »

Axitinib and Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) in Subjects With Advanced Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma and Other Soft Tissue Sarcomas trial
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02636725
is now open and actively enrolling. The sarcoma oncologist leading this trial is remarkably open and passionate about her work, we thank you for that.
Please share if you are participating.
Olga
Bonni Hess

Re: Axitinib and Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) in Miami

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Olga,
Thank you for sharing this important information about this new ASPS Clinical Trial. It is wonderful to have a possible new systemic treatment option. I will be closely following the results of this Trial with greatest Hope that it will prove to be VERY successful in stabilizing disease progression and shrinking/destroying existing tumors, and I Hope that those ASPS patients participating in the Trial will share their Trial experience and results on this Board. My one concern about the Trial is the requirement for the patient to undergo three core needle biopsies into one of their tumor sites. My concern is based on my long held belief that core needle biopsies can/do spread tumor cells through the needle tract. When Brittany participated in the GVAX Immunotherapy Vaccine Clinical Trial at Dana Farber in 2006, needle biopsies were voluntary so we refused for Brittany to undergo them. Of the several patients who we personally knew who participated in that failed Trial, Brittany is the only surviving GVAX Trial participant. We have often wondered if it is because she did not undergo the biopsies which we know that most/all of the other participating patients did have, and who ultimately tragically lost their courageous battles. I personally think that there should be/needs to be a different way to determine the effectiveness of the Trial drugs rather than putting the patient at risk of spreading tumor cells into the blood stream through an invasive needle biopsy. This is an important issue and concern which a patient should definitely discuss with the research oncologist/team prior to participation in the Trial, and documented data regarding the safety of the procedure should be requested and provided.
With special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni

Return to “Axitinib and Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) in Miami, US”