Personal experience with Retroperitoneoscopic pancreatectomy with Dr.Walz in Germany, Ivan, Aug.2016

Olga
Admin

Re: Ivan rocking it since 2003

Post by Olga »

Dr.Walz enters in to the retro-peritoneal space here at the tip of the 12 rib.
The surgery like his is done at many places in US now - MDACC, Mayo etc. but 1. They have few times less experience and it is super important when the case is very complex - like partial pancreas resection with the spleen preservation and venous reconstruction - but also they are 4 times more expensive for the outsiders like us from Canada and other countries. Here the surgery is going to cost us about 25,000 Euro (it was less when estimated but it turned to be more complicated and very long). They include up to 30 days of the hospital stay with it - versus like a week or two in US at max, with the cost of 150K of USD? it's like we can have 10 times better quality for 4 times less money. But for the people in US it is a different situation - they can probably find a pretty skilled in this approach surgeon accessible trough their insurance coverage. But I am even glad we did not have an access to someone covered by the insurance but 10 times less experienced as we really needed the the top one - we did not even know how difficult the situation was until they cut it and saw. We had numerous scans in attempt to clarify the real location but it was not conclusive even after the best drs read it.
Olga
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Hi Olga
I can only image the surprise with the scar tissue but it sounds like Dr Walz kept his cool and persevered and took his time to complete a thorough and careful removal
Makes since anatomicalky that the surgery was performed from the front :roll:
I hope Ivan and yourself are getting some well deserved R&R
Love
Debbie
Debbie
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Hello again dear Olga and thank you so much once more for your very thoughtful and detailed updates which are so comforting to those of us who care so deeply about dear Ivan and you, as well as providing invaluable anecdotal information to ASPS Community patients and their families who may sometime face the need for pancreatic met resection, which as you have detailed is a very serious, difficult, and surgically involved procedure. I am so grateful that Ivan's pain has now decreased significantly and that his recovery is going well with him being ambulatory and able to take walks outside. He continues to be a source of great inspiration with the great strength, courage, and determination with which he faces his ASPS challenges, and his ability to so quickly regain strength and energy and recover from his treatment procedures. I am so glad that the hospital nursing and physician care for Ivan is very good and attentive, that the room accommodations are very nice and comfortable, and that the food is good so that you are having a positive hospital experience during your stay there. While the successful outcome of the surgery is of course the most important thing and highest priority, the hospital care and overall situation contributes to the recovery and the well being of the patient as well as family members, so it is very helpful for those who may be in need of seeking pancreatic met treatment in Germany from Dr. Walz to have this information. Enjoy the delicious afternoon pastries at the hospital and don't worry about gaining weight--- you deserve to just relax and indulge yourself with some of the sweet things in Life with all of the stress and anguish that you have been through!! Take care dear friend and give yourself and Ivan more gentle hugs from all of us Hesses.
Heart to heart with deepest gratitude for all of your thoughtful sharing, special caring thoughts, very best wishes for dear Ivan's continued healing and recovery, much love, and continued Hope,
Bonni
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Thank you for the update Olga. You and Ivan are always in our thoughts.

Kathy and Tom
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Today was a pretty good day with the good progress toward recovery. The amount of liquids coming out of the tube is decreasing but probably not fast enough for it to be taken out on the last day here tomorrow. Ivan is really insisting on flying home with the tube and I am mildly resisting - would be better to have it taken at the place where they know what was done and to avoid the process of searching for the doc who is going to deal with it in Vancouver. but on the other hand I see a danger in taking it to early, The liquid will be measured and analyzed for content tomorrow morning, and decisions will be done then. He walked the stairs today as a training exercise - 3 floors of stairs (6 flights)*17 times, to train the endurance after the surgery a bit as we are preparing for the lengthy flight home with the airport transfers and trains changes (2 trains, 2 flights). It was pretty hard for him, the stairs walking.
Olga
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Olga
I sure understand your aprehension as a mom :|
But I'm sure when the time comes you BOTH will do just fine.
What kind of flight issues could immediately be of concern ?
The flight is how many hours ?
Ivan sounds like he's ready to come home :lol:
He's doing a great job. However remind him to be easy on himself

It's good to hear from you my friend

Love
Debbie
Debbie
jenhy168

Post by jenhy168 »

Hi Olga,
Glad to hear Ivan is making good progress with his recovery. So impressive he can climb 3 floors of stairs 17 times. I can barely even do 3 floors of stairs now, and that's with no surgery. Hope you all have a safe flight home.
Ivan
Admin

Retroperitoneoscopic pancreatectomy with Dr.Walz in Germany, Ivan, Aug.2016

Post by Ivan »

Hey everyone.

I'm home now and feeling well. Overall, this was one of the more uncomfortable procedures, but the recovery curve is steeper than thoracotomies.

I consider myself back to work today, and back to the gym for some easy stuff tomorrow.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Hi Ivan

Bet you all are glad to be home! :lol:
I hope the flight was uneventful and your days to follow are filled with good news.
What kind of bloodwork will be looked at to follow pancreatic progress?

The incisions for the scope were in several places to accomidate the surgical tool?

Its great to hear from you
Love
Debbie
Debbie
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Welcome safely Home dear Ivan and Olga!! :lol: :lol: You both continue to amaze and inspire!! Will a post op follow up be necessary/required in Germany with Dr Walz sometime, or can/will all of the folllow up be able to be done locally in Vancouver?.With best wishes for a very good, complete, and speedy recovery and continued healing, special caring thoughts, Welcome Home hugs, much love, and continued Hope, Bonni
cachabamba10

Post by cachabamba10 »

Glad you are home Ivan, enjoy watching the Olympics for a while at least. Just today, they had some good beach volleyball going on. Stay safe and I am really glad you guys are doing okay.

Mario Arevalo
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

We will have to discuss the follow up with our oncologist and the surgeon, but in general we always get the scans locally and send the copy to the doctor who's done the treatment for their review - i.e. Dr.Littrup reviews the scans for the areas he has cryoablated, Dr.Rolle reviewed the chest CT scans, Dr.Walz is going to get the copy of the panc scan etc. We need to request the copy of the scan every time from the scanning department (CT or MRI) and send them out by the Fedex. Lately Ivan usually manages to share the scans with drs via dropbox. In some countries it is not possible like China.
First post-op scan should not be done very soon, the healing has to be over the the scar tissue possibly reduced for the better picture. So no earlier than about 2-3 moths.
Olga
Olga
Admin

Re: Retroperitoneoscopic pancreatectomy with Dr.Walz in Germany, Ivan, Aug.2016

Post by Olga »

Ivan just recently had his first post-pancreatic resection MRI with the contrast of the pancr area on Nov.17, 2016. We got the copy of the scan on a CD from the MRI department and shared it with Dr.Walz via internet/drop-box. I just received a happy e-mail from Dr.Walz that he reviewed the scan. He said it looks perfect. The pancreas is fine and there is no postoperative problem. We are very happy with the result and with the doctor's positive and active attitude. It is also a relief that there are no new other obvious pancreatic metastases that he would notice.
Olga
Olga
Admin

Re: Personal experience with Retroperitoneoscopic pancreatectomy with Dr.Walz in Germany, Ivan, Aug.2016

Post by Olga »

It is already March 2017, more than 6 months after the Ivan's pancreatic (minimally invasive) surgery. His 6 months post the surgery abdominal (pancreatic and adrenal) MRI has shown no sign of recurrence or new metastases, Ivan feels great, next abdominal MRI is scheduled for May 2017 to watch the area,we will update then.
Olga
D.ap

Re: Personal experience with Retroperitoneoscopic pancreatectomy with Dr.Walz in Germany, Ivan, Aug.2016

Post by D.ap »

Olga and Ivan

Great news ,all !

So happy to hear

Love
Debbie and family
Debbie

Return to “Pancreatic metastases”