Minimally invasive surgery for adrenal metastases/Dr.Walz in Germany

Olga
Admin

Minimally invasive surgery for adrenal metastases/Dr.Walz in Germany

Post by Olga »

While looking for the adrenal saving treatment option for Ivan's adrenal mets (which he had bilaterally both sides but thankfully with a year in between), I came across the information about this great minimally invasive surgeon from Essen, Germany - Dr.Walz. We consulted him re. possible adrenal saving resection of Ivan's left adrenal metastasis. It was a very stressful time then, when after his right adrenal gland was already cryoablated by Dr.Littrup for two mets in it and most probably destroyed (we do not know for sure and there is no way to find out), he was found to have a new met in the left adrenal met. We were desperately searching for the adrenal saving option to preserve the adrenal function. There was some delay with the answer from Dr.Littrup and I found Dr.Walz. He is the world known expert in adrenal saving minimally invasive surgery using the posterior technique. Partial adrenalectomies are rarely done anywhere as adrenal gland is very small - it is of a large romano bean size so it is almost always resected in one piece, plus it is located at the back, on the top of the kidney so the access is very complicated.
The posterior retroperitoneal minimally invasive surgery was developed by someone else but rarely used. Dr.Walz improved it and refined the technique, and by far he is the most experienced surgeon in the world at this time using it. He mostly uses it for the adrenal saving surgery, but can also do kidneys and pancreas esp. if the tumor is located at the back of pancreas - to use the advantage of the location and his access.
There are numerous published articles and quotations of Dr.Walz work everywhere the adrenal saving surgery is mentioned, he trained most of the leading surgeons who is using this technique. His clinics experience is now close to 1000 cases.
http://mkwalz.com/Martin_Walz_Homepage/ ... lisch.html
Head Professor of Surgery
Department of Surgery
and
Centre of Minimally Invasive Surgery
Kliniken Essen-Mitte
Henricistrasse 92
45136 Essen
Tel.: +49 201 174 26001
FAX: +49 201 174 26000
mkwalz@kliniken-essen-mitte.de
It is in Essen, Germany. Dr.Walz speaks and writes Engl. very well. The surgery cost is most probably not covered by any insurance for the out of country patients, and it was about 12,000 Euro when I asked not including any add. scans or accommodation. There is an option for the companion to live in the same room with the patient at the additional cost, that includes the food and drinks.

About Ivan's case:
Dr.Walz reviewed Ivan's scans and was accepting Ivan for this type of surgery then.
We ended by having a cryoablation that time again as Dr.Littrup finally was able to review Ivan's scans and very confidently said that he will cryoablate the met and to save the adrenal - and he did, it went well. But after Ivan had to have a pancreatic surgery this year to remove the newly found pancreatic met, we contacted Dr.Walz again as the cryo was not an option. He eventually had a pancreatic surgery with Dr.Walz using this particular access from the back, laparoscopic. When the surgery was over, Dr.Walz said that Ivan should had the adrenal saving surgery instead of cryo as there would be less damage in the area (found extensive scarring from the cryo) and it is a very easy surgery for the patient. So I feel that I did not completely understand the full extend of the scarring that cryo leaves behind. Cryo is an excellent option but there is a cost.
Olga

Return to “Adrenal metastases”