Charity-Linac radiosurgery+WBRT(2)

Treatment of brain metastases.
Charity

Charity-Linac radiosurgery+WBRT(2)

Post by Charity »

I am currently going through WBR. I just completed 5 out of 10 treatments and no real side effects except nausea and I vomitted this morning. My Doc told me to take 4mg of dex and then go 1 mg until I complete my treatment cycle.I am being treated with 30 secs of radiation onthe left and 30 sec on the right side of my head. So time will tell if this treatment has any effect on my brain mets.
Charity

Post WBR

Post by Charity »

The whole process is quite simple while receiveing treatment however the three months after radiation left me tired with daily nausea. However that seemed to have settled for the most part. I take 2mg of dexamethasone every 2nd day. Princess Margaret in Toronto treats patients with multiple brain mets that are inoperable by WBR first to make sure no new ones popup. Then they decide which will be treated by LINAC. My treatment was the reverse there, but it showed some progress.I am pleased I have not had any new tumours and there was some decrease in 2 of the ones that were treated by LINAC last January.I am now hoping they can treat the tumour on my optic nerve to helpslow down the visual degeneration.
Charity

Recent MRI results

Post by Charity »

My recent brain MRI has shown good progress. All the lesions have diminished.The great news is the lesion on my occipital has diminished significantly.This is the one that controls my vision. I am quite pleased with that. My next Brain MRI and eye MRI is in JULY.

The details of my lung CT is in the lung section.
Olga
Admin

Good news!

Post by Olga »

Charity - I am so glad to hear that, so the treatment is working after all, I mean the radiosurgery with Linac - I am still not sure about the WBRT, as I remember you had all of the mets treated by the radiosurgery before of the WBRT?
Charity

UPDATE

Post by Charity »

My latest MRI shows no new growth and noticeable decrease in 2 of the 3 brain mets. The 3rd met showed a slight decrease.
Olga
Admin

good news!

Post by Olga »

Charity - I am very glad to hear a good news and want to thank you for the valuable contribution to the board - it is very important to share the results of the various treatments here. ASPS is considered to be a radioresistant disease and there are no studies done reg. use of the radiosurgery and WBRT for ASPS brain mets so it is largely unknown what is the pathological outcome of these treatments and how it corresponds to the appearance on the MRI scan, what is the involution of the size as the time goes. From your own experience we learned that Linac radiosurgery (can you clarify the dose?) and a whole brain radiation therapy were successful plan for ASPS brain mets since there is no new growth and noticeable decrease in the treated brain mets.
Charity

Brain Mets

Post by Charity »

Well I just came back from Princess Margaret Hospital. I had an MRI on my brain and my results were positive. No new mets. The 3 mets that were treated in 2006 are stable.They havent grown at all.

The tumour I had in my left eye is flat and dead. It was such a rare tumour as our ASPS is they asked to publish my case.

Its nice to have some good news.
Olga
Admin

Re: Charity-Linac radiosurgery+WBRT(2)

Post by Olga »

Charity - thank you for posting a good news, we all need to hear that to keep our hopes alive. It was so important that you found this team from Toronto and these mets and the eye met were treated and they do not affect you QOL. I do not know if you have seen the abstract by Pf.Judson re. cediranib that I posted on in the news area, I suggest you to print it out and take with you to your oncologist when ever you see him as it might be avail. on a clinical trial in your area.
Olga

Return to “Brain Metastases”