I NEED AS MUCH IMPUT AS POSSIBLE! Please.. Brain surgery!

Treatment of brain metastases.
Amanda

I NEED AS MUCH IMPUT AS POSSIBLE! Please.. Brain surgery!

Post by Amanda »

Greetings!
I am looking for any help on healing after a brain surgery!
What helped you or your loved one?
What made you feel better as a patient?
What does everyone feel in reference to brain radiation after surgery has removed a tumor?
Are there foods you wouldn’t buy for the patient?
Any information will help please so I can pass this along!

Please post any information you can thank you! <3
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda
Bonni Hess

Re: I NEED AS MUCH IMPUT AS POSSIBLE! Please.. Brain surgery

Post by Bonni Hess »

Hi Amanda,
Brittany thankfully healed and recovered very quickly after her three brain surgeries and she said that they were actually the easiest of all of her other numerous surgeries. According to the neurosurgeon the tumors popped out like a ball since they were encapsulated and didn't have fingers that extended into other areas of the brain. There was a concerning post-op effect for a few days following surgery which resulted in Brittany's writing being reversed as in a mirror, but that thankfully resolved. The hardest part of the brain met experience was trying to successfully wean Brittany off of the large amount of steroids that she had been on for six months trying to reduce brain swelling from the tumors.
Regarding post-op brain radiation, I think that this depends on what type of cancer the patient has. If you are asking in regard to an ASPS patient, based in my ten+ years of observation of ASPS patients and ASPS research, I would personally advise against radiation if it is Whole Brain Radiation (WBR) because WBR has unfortunately not proven to very effective or successful in preventing new brain mets for the ASPS patients who I have followed because ASPS is so notoriously radiation resistant and WBR cannot safely deliver a large enough dose of radiation without causing damage to the brain, unlike Gamma Knife which can deliver a huge amount of radiation to an individual tumor. WBR can cause severe and permanent short term memory loss as was devastatingly experienced by ASPS patient Kevin Young who ultimately tragically lost his courageous battle. Because ASPS brain mets are typically encapuslated, there shouldn't be a need to radiate the resected tumor bed. If prevention of new brain mets is the goal of the WBR, I personally think that it is better to try a systemic treatment like Cediranib or others which can cross the blood brain barriar to try to prevent new tumors from developing. I Hope that this information is helpful to you or whoever you are sharing it with Amanda, and my very best wishes for a successful outcome and recovery from the surgery are with her/him.
With special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni
Last edited by Bonni Hess on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amanda

Re: I NEED AS MUCH IMPUT AS POSSIBLE! Please.. Brain surgery

Post by Amanda »

Hi Bonnie :)
Thank you so much! I will be passing this along today <3
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda

Return to “Brain Metastases”