Keytruda in Canada - Max treatment length?

Naynay

Keytruda in Canada - Max treatment length?

Post by Naynay »

Does anyone know why Keytruda is only funded for up to 2 years in Canada (British Columbia) specifically. The messaging I'm getting is that even if patient's disease shows stability or continued response on the drug and exhibits no side effects, the treatment ends approx 2 years after first infusion. I don't understand why meds would be discontinued if they continue to have a positive effect? I am finding very limited information about this as well. Any input from other members?
Olga
Admin

Re: Keytruda in Canada - Max treatment length?

Post by Olga »

Hi, sorry I missed this question.
Keytruda is not the typical chemotherapy that is used as long as it is working. Keytruda mode of action is taking breaks down and hyperactivation of your own immune system to make it able to detect and attack tumors. As soon as the immune system managed to successfully identify and attack ASPS, it creates long term memory cells and Keytruda is not needed anymore. In fact taking Keytruda unnecessarily long might cause more harm to a patient body as it also allows your own immune system to attack other tissues such as adrenals, kidneys, pancreas in absence of innate regulators.
Two years is considered long enough to make sure it is working - or to confirm it is not.
Once it is working it is not needed.
Some drs propose to stop it few cycles after the first response is detected.
What is your situation?
Olga

Return to “Keytruda”