PD1-positivity and PD-L1 expression

D.ap

Re: PD1-positivity and PD-L1 expression

Post by D.ap »

Hello Rachelve

Wow a lot to absorb and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.. :)
LIFE happened this weekend and I would like to look through all that you have graciously provided and respond tomorrow.
However before the days end I /we would like to thank you so much for checking in and giving us all a much needed selfless information letter, in spite of your present struggles. :roll:

The face book page truly looks like a place of personal inspiration!
I hope this note finds your day and night blessed with health and relaxation..

Much love to you and all the friends and family on ASPS face book,

Debbie
Debbie
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Rachel,
On behalf of our CureASPS Community, I would like to express deepest gratitude and appreciation for your very thoughtful, gracious, and invaluable sharing. Your very positive and successful PD-1/PD-L1 experience and results thus far after your failed Sutent, Votrient, Cabozantinib, and Clinical Trial combination of Affinitor and Caprelsa truly provides much encouragement and Hope for everyone in the ASPS Community who is seeking/needing a promising new systemic treatment. The very significant results of your tumor biopsy testing for PD-L1 expression certainly supports the value of tumor tissue testing to try to narrow down and determine the best systemic treatment based on specific targets, rather than randomly trying various treatments that may or may not be effective and are just a shot in the dark.
How often do you receive scans on your Clinical Trial, are the scans being compared to scans from when you first began the Trial or just to the immediately previous scan, and are you receiving complete scans including a brain MRI and full body bone scan, or is the Clinical Trial only following your lung and abdominal mets? In Brittany's case, the Cediranib Clinical Trial in Edmonton only follows her with chest/abdominal/pelvic scans ( based on the location of the mets which she had when she began the Trial in April 2009) which are now done every four months, and we additionally schedule brain and spinal MRI scans every three months in Seattle due to her history of brain and spinal mets prior to beginning the Cediranib Trial, and a full body bone scan once a year based on her history of having had a tibia met in 2005.
My very best wishes and greatest Hope are with you and the other PD-L1 patients for continued and sustained long term treatment success with additional significant tumor shrinkage/disappearance and stable disease. Please take care dear Rachel, encourage the other ASPS patients from the Facebook site to visit, participate, and share ( anonymously if they prefer) on this Forum, and keep in touch as you are able.
With deepest gratitude for all of your invaluable shared information, and with special caring thoughts, healing wishes, and continued Hope,
Bonni
rachelve

Post by rachelve »

Bonni-

I agree that it is important to do tissue testing if at all possible to narrow down treatment options. Unfortunately, ASPS, due to being a translocation-based sarcoma often does not have many targetable mutations. I have done both Foundation One genetic testing and genetic tumor testing using MD Anderson's in-house testing through a clinical trial and neither came up with any targetable mutations. The first "hit" so to speak for me was with the PD-L1 testing. However, my oncologist told me that there is not yet a uniform PD-L1 testing standard across the country. In addition, as you can see in the second research article posted by Debbie about immunotherapy in the research section, it appears that PD-L1 testing only predicts a response to therapy when PD-1 /PD-L1 is used as monotherapy. When PD-1 / PD-L1 is used in combination with other immunotherapy drugs, it appears to make no difference whether the patients' tumors expressed PD-L1 in predicting whether they respond to therapy. In any event, the point is that immunotherapy is so new that I would never discourage a fellow ASPS patient from trying PD-1/ PD-L1 therapy (especially a combination therapy trial) based upon the results of PD-L1 testing on their tumor. I do believe the test has value, but just don't think it should be determinative at this early stage in testing protocols and with so much more to learn about immunotherapy.

With regard to your questions about scans, I get scans every 8 weeks through my clinical trial. Similar to Brittany's Trial, I get scans though the trial only of the areas where I had disease when the trial started, so I only get a CT of my chest, abdomen, and pelvis. Per trial protocol, they compare to the scans immediately preceding the scans I had done and also with the ones from the beginning of the trial. So in December when I have my scans done, they will compare with my October scans and with the scans done when I started the trial in June. Also, even though the clinical trial is only doing the CT CAP, I have continued to insist on my continuing brain MRI every three months. I used to get them every 6 months, but I developed posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome (a.k.a reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome) while on cabozantinib, so now I get them every 3 months. Luckily, I did not have any symptoms other than headaches, which I attributed to stress, and the MRI findings and they resolved since I was already off the drug when the MRI findings appeared (which is an unusual presentation). However, the brain MRI and my bi-annual bone scans have to be ordered off of the study, which seems very odd to me. I do feel that this is a fault in clinical trials that should be resolved. Patients should continue to get their normal scans and blood work that they were getting before being on the trial. I also had trouble with this recently because I had been asking at each visit to have thyroid function tests added to my bloodwork to monitor the hypothyroidism that I developed while on Sutent. They kept telling me they would add it to the next set of bloodwork. Finally, they did it 4 months into the study and my TSH was over 125 when it should be under 4.2. They almost were going to hold my treatment until it was lowered, but I told them it was their fault that it was that high because I had been asking for it to be tested every two weeks for 4 months. So, they sent me to endocrinology, who fixed my meds and cleared me to continue treatment, but it made me so upset!! Anyway, sorry for the rant. I hope that answers your questions.

I actually have a couple of questions for you. I read on your updates for Brittany that she is stable and no new tumors. That is so wonderful to hear!!! However, I know at one time that she had numerous mets all over her body. When you say stable, does that mean that all of her tumors have disappeared and she has no evidence of disease currently? Or that what tumors she has left have not grown? If she has tumors left, what is her status with regard to tumors? Also, if she has no evidence of disease, how long did it take to get to that status with the cediranib? I am curious because cediranib is the only TKI I was never able to get access to, and the one I so desperately wanted to try before this trial (I also would want to try to get a compassionate use allowance for cediranib if the trial I am on were to fail for some reason). Finally, I saw you post on another thread that astra zeneca is seeking approval of cediranib for ovarian cancer in Europe. I thought it was seeking similar approval here in the USA. Do you have any knowledge about that or where they might be in the process for getting it approved here for any indication, including ASPS? Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide. I always like to have a back-up plan, because, as you know, this disease can be unpredictible and you need to be a couple steps ahead. ;-)

Take care,

Rachel
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Rachel,
Thank you so much for your very detailed and informative response. I agree with you that tumor tissue testing does not always provide a definitive assessment of whether or not a patient will respond to a specific treatment, but it certainly narrows down the treatment options from just making an shot in the dark with trial and error and nothing specific to base the treatment decision on. Brittany's ARQ-197 Clinical Trial oncologist had really discounted the value of tumor tissue testing when we discussed our plans to pursue it with him, but we went forward with having it done anyway. In Brittany's case, the test results showed that her tumor tested very high for VEGF-R and quite low for C-Met. Very interestingly, and we think not coincidentally, Brittany had a failed response to the ARQ-197 treatment which targeted C-Met, while she has thus far thankfully had a very positive and successful response to the Cediranib which targets VEGF-R. Unfortunately, there is still not enough data and evidence available to confirm the accuracy and validity of tumor tissue testing, but it certainly seems to be a promising new tool to help prognosticate possible/potential treatment success.
I am so grateful that you are so knowledgeable and pro-active in scheduling and obtaining regular scans for those areas that are not being followed by the Clinical Trial. I have never understood why all areas of the body are not scanned in Clinical Trial monitoring since it certainly can provide false results if the Clinical Trial scans appear stable but there is actually disease progression or tumor growth in the non scanned areas. I agree with you that this is definitely a flaw in the Clinical Trial protocol that needs to be addressed and resolved. It is of special interest to me that you developed RPLS (reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome) while on Cabozantinib, as this condition was a concern of ours with Brittany's recent onset of severe headaches. However, we have been assured by both the Clinical Trial oncologist and Brittany's Seattle radiation oncologist that she does not have this extremely rare TKI related condition based on review of her most recent brain MRI and her symptoms.
Regarding your question about the status of Brittany's disease, all of the scan visible mets that were present at the time that she began the Trial in April 2009 appear to have disappeared with the exception of about two spots in her lungs which have remained stable for the past six years and Dr. Sawyer thinks are probably necrotic tissue. I think that the dramatic disappearance of Brittany's innumerous and widely disseminated mets occurred within the first year of her beginning the Cediranib Trial, and following the resection of her nonresponding superficial abdominal met. When we ask Dr. Sawyer if Brittany could be considered tumor free, he says that she may be macroscopically tumor free, but unfortunately probably not microscopically :-(. Since there is no way to definitively determine the status of her disease, she will continue on the Cediranib treatment as long as she is able to tolerate it, until she develops disease progression, or until a permanent ASPS treatment and cure is found. I don't have any more information about the status of Astra Zeneca's efforts to obtain pharmaceutical approval of Cediranib other than that which I shared in my update about the results of Brittany's most recent scans.
I admire and applaud your forward thinking efforts to try to have a back up treatment plan in place, as has always been our approach to fighting this very unpredictable and challenging disease also.
Take care dear Rachel and thank you again for all of your very helpful and invaluable shared information and participation on this Forum.
With special caring thoughts, healing wishes, much love, and continued Hope,
Bonni
rachelve

Post by rachelve »

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! I am sorry that I haven't updated my post in a while. I just wanted to post a quick update to let everyone know that my 6 month scans in early December showed that my target tumors had shrunk another 14% for a total shrinkage of 56% since I started the study in June!! In additional, most of my larger lung nodules are now below one centimeter in size, except for two that are just over one centimeter. Many other lung nodules have disappeared completely!! This is super exciting because I had dozens of lung nodules over a centimeter and 5-6 over two centimeters when I started the study last June (I also had one close to 3 centimeter that was scaring the death out of me!!). It is just so nice to have hope for the first time in a long time!!

In other good news, I was able to get another ASPS patient the information needed to get into the same study as me and he has been on the protocol nearly two months now and will get his first scans in the next week or two. The drug company is watching our progress with interest and Dr. Hong says that if he also responds, that the drug company has indicated that they will open up a treatment arm just for ASPS patients!!! This is super exciting as I get messages all the time from other ASPS patients wanting to get into the study, but it is currently closed to any new partipants. There are several other studies with MEDI4736, however, and this drug seems to be the common factor in the immunotherapy success stories thus far. Anyway, I get my next scans at the beginning of February, and will update you on my progress, but let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Take care,

Rachel
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Rachel

That's excellent news on the shrinkage !
The joy is being shared across the miles with you :)

Much love
Debbie
Last edited by D.ap on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Rachel
Are you able to devulge the dosage you are on the the meds at this time after 7 months ? Correct?

Thanks
Debbie
Last edited by D.ap on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
rachelve

Post by rachelve »

Debbie-

Yes, I have been on the meds for a little over 7 months now. I am on 1mg/kg of the Mogamulizumab and on 10mg/kg of the MEDI4736.

Rachel
rachelve

Post by rachelve »

Also, I get this dosage every two weeks. The dosage has remained the same throughout the study except for the first month, I got the Mogamulizumab weekly at the same dosage instead of biweekly.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Thanks Rachel

Was your PD1 test performed on your abdomen primary tumor or on a met tumor?
Debbie
rachelve

Post by rachelve »

It was actually performed on a recurrence in my abdomen located where my primary was originally located. Remember how I said that my primary tumor split during surgery to remove it? Although my surgeon swore that it split outside the abdominal cavity, the pattern of my recurrence is undeniably consistent with the tumor splitting and seeding in the abdomen. I have multiple nodules and nodule conglomerates located in the area right where my original primary was located as evidenced by the surgical clips they left in case I needed radiation. (But I never had radiation). Anyway, one of the nodule conglomerates in my recurrence ended up growing to be bigger than my primary tumor prior to my starting on this trial so I am very grateful!
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Hi Rachael

Thanks for the clarification. I am so sorry to of brought up bad history :(

I've been reading on the studies of the using of primary and metastis of the different cancers to determine the PD contents. So far ,as I understand ,the consensus seems to be that is both the primary and mets show equal PD contents with the testing ? So testing either or gives a good example of the content for targeting ?

I've attached a write up
Of course specific to lung cancer

PD-1 and PD-L1 Inhibitors Expected to 'Change the Landscape' of Lung Cancer Treatment

I found this interesting information on Nivolumab
"Rizvi said that responses continue in 10 of 22 remaining patients. He added that, among patients who discontinued the trial for reasons other than disease progression, six of the remaining seven continued to respond. These results raise questions about how long patients need to take the drug, he said."

Also found informative-
Latest Videos Dr. Krampitz on Therapeutic Targets in pNETs Dr. Sekeres on Combination Therapies With Azacitidine in CMML and MDS Emerging Therapies for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors Dr. Mukherjee on Radioactive Iodine Treatment of Thyroid Cancer and Risk of MDS googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1403278537441-3'); PD-1 and PD-L1 Inhibitors Expected to 'Change the Landscape' of Lung Cancer Treatment Beth Fand Incollingo @fandincollingo Published Online: Monday, November 11, 2013 var switchTo5x=true; stLight.options({publisher: "cf568e38-4bc7-433c-9762-707b9eee5576", doNotHash: false, doNotCopy: false, hashAddressBar: false}); Photo Courtesy © PER/Claudio Papapietro 2013 Naiyer A. Rizvi, MD The future of PD-1 and PD-L1 inhibition in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is bright, with ongoing studies suggesting that the strategy will lead to a “new world” in the treatment of the disease, according to a presenter at the 8th Annual New York Lung Cancer Symposium, held in New York City November 9. Nivolumab and three other immune checkpoint inhibitors being studied in the clinic are all demonstrating similar promising activity, explained the presenter, Naiyer A. Rizvi, MD, a thoracic oncologist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York. Furthermore, Rizvi said, researchers are beginning to gather data indicating that PD-L1 expression is a biomarker for success with the drugs. - See more at: http://www.onclive.com/conference-cover ... V0p1J.dpuf

http://www.onclive.com/conference-cover ... -Treatment
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

rachelve wrote:It was actually performed on a recurrence in my abdomen located where my primary was originally located. Remember how I said that my primary tumor split during surgery to remove it? Although my surgeon swore that it split outside the abdominal cavity, the pattern of my recurrence is undeniably consistent with the tumor splitting and seeding in the abdomen. I have multiple nodules and nodule conglomerates located in the area right where my original primary was located as evidenced by the surgical clips they left in case I needed radiation. (But I never had radiation). Anyway, one of the nodule conglomerates in my recurrence ended up growing to be bigger than my primary tumor prior to my starting on this trial so I am very grateful!
Question-

Could your PD levels have contributed to your immune response? Consequently over regulating and exponentially causing "overgrowth" if you will?
We were told by more than one doctor that surgery of our lungs, could cause unwanted attention from our compromised system if you will . Consequently exasperating the dormant ASPS tumors?
Each of us are different in our genetics and consequently our sarcomas. :roll:

Write when able
Much love
Debbie
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Association of PD-1, PD-1 Ligands, and Other Features of the Tumor Immune Microenvironment with Response to Anti–PD-1 Therapy

Purpose: Immunomodulatory drugs differ in mechanism-of-action from directly cytotoxic cancer therapies. Identifying factors predicting clinical response could guide patient selection and therapeutic optimization.

Experimental Design: Patients (N = 41) with melanoma, non–small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC), renal cell carcinoma (RCC), colorectal carcinoma, or castration-resistant prostate cancer were treated on an early-phase trial of anti–PD-1 (nivolumab) at one institution and had evaluable pretreatment tumor specimens. Immunoarchitectural features, including PD-1, PD-L1, and PD-L2 expression, patterns of immune cell infiltration, and lymphocyte subpopulations, were assessed for interrelationships and potential correlations with clinical outcomes.

Results: Membranous (cell surface) PD-L1 expression by tumor cells and immune infiltrates varied significantly by tumor type and was most abundant in melanoma, NSCLC, and RCC. In the overall cohort, PD-L1 expression was geographically associated with infiltrating immune cells (P < 0.001), although lymphocyte-rich regions were not always associated with PD-L1 expression. Expression of PD-L1 by tumor cells and immune infiltrates was significantly associated with expression of PD-1 on lymphocytes. PD-L2, the second ligand for PD-1, was associated with PD-L1 expression. Tumor cell PD-L1 expression correlated with objective response to anti–PD-1 therapy, when analyzing either the specimen obtained closest to therapy or the highest scoring sample among multiple biopsies from individual patients. These correlations were stronger than borderline associations of PD-1 expression or the presence of intratumoral immune cell infiltrates with response.

Conclusions: Tumor PD-L1 expression reflects an immune-active microenvironment and, while associated other immunosuppressive molecules, including PD-1 and PD-L2, is the single factor most closely correlated with response to anti–PD-1 blockade. Clin Cancer Res; 20(19); 5064–74. ©2014 AACR.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/c ... /5064.full
Last edited by D.ap on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

The Discussion from the above article- :roll:

Cancer immunotherapy, which targets and modulates antitumor immune cells, differs mechanistically from cytotoxic therapies and kinase inhibitors, which directly mediate tumor cell death. Accordingly, these treatment approaches differ in their profiles of clinical activity as well as safety (22–24). The identification of factors predicting response to immunotherapy is highly desirable, to preselect patients most likely to benefit and spare others from unnecessary exposure to potential side effects. However, this is challenging due to the dynamic nature of the antitumor immune response and its heterogeneity across space (anatomic location) and time (progression from primary to metastatic cancer). We previously reported a correlation between pretreatment tumoral PD-L1 expression and response to anti–PD-1 therapy (nivolumab) in a subset of patients on an expanded phase I trial (16). In the current study, we have reexamined PD-L1 as a marker associated with anti–PD-1 response, and have extended our investigations to evaluate other factors in the tumor microenvironment potentially associated with the clinical activity of anti–PD-1.

Recent studies associate an inflammatory tumor microenvironment with responsiveness to certain forms of immunotherapy such as cancer vaccines and ipilimumab (25, 26), and our observations suggest that this may also be true for PD-1 pathway blockade. In the current study, patients whose tumors expressed PD-L1 were more likely to respond to anti–PD-1 therapy. Although PD-L1 is generally regarded as an immunosuppressive molecule, its expression is not necessarily synonymous with tumor immune evasion and may reflect an ongoing antitumor immune response that includes the production of IFNγ and other inflammatory factors (12). This is consistent with retrospective studies in select tumor types, such as melanoma, Merkel cell carcinoma, mismatch repair–proficient colorectal cancer, and NSCLC where tumor PD-L1 expression has been shown to be a positive prognostic factor (12, 13, 27, 28). We observed tumor cell surface PD-L1 expression in distinct patterns, which generally correlated with tumor type. Tumor cell surface PD-L1 expression was associated with immune cell infiltrates in some cases (mainly melanoma and RCC), whereas in others it was constitutive or out of proportion to infiltrating immune cells (NSCLC). We also observed instances of PD-L1 membranous expression on infiltrating immune cells but not on tumor cells, particularly in colorectal cancer (21). Although the biologic significance of these distinct expression patterns is currently unclear, they likely reflect the combined effects of innate and adaptive cellular and soluble factors that shape the tumor microenvironment, as well as the type of malignancy and composition of other components of the tumor stroma. For example, neoantigens associated with infection by tumor-promoting viruses or somatic mutational events in malignant cells may trigger inflammatory responses leading to local PD-L1 expression (13, 21, 27), while PD-L1 expression in non–virus-associated head and neck squamous cell cancers, glioblastoma multiforme, and anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK)–positive T-cell lymphomas has been associated with PTEN and ALK/STAT3 oncogenic signaling pathways (29–31).

In this study, we examined a potential relationship between TIL expression of PD-1, the direct target of nivolumab, with clinical outcomes but found only a borderline association. Because the intensity of immune cell infiltrates was significantly associated with tumor cell PD-L1 expression, we also explored the possibility that simply the presence of immune cell infiltrates might predict favorable clinical outcomes to anti–PD-1 therapy. The presence of TIL has been correlated with improved outcomes in retrospective studies of different tumor types, including melanoma and colorectal carcinoma (32–35). In addition, HER2-positive breast cancer patients with TIL in their pretreatment specimens have shown improved benefit from certain chemotherapeutic regimens (36). Further, increased numbers of TIL in posttreatment biopsies have been shown to correlate with the activity of ipilimumab in patients with melanoma (37). However, the current study is the first to examine the relationship of the presence of TIL in pretreatment tumor specimens to anti–PD-1 response, and a significant relationship between these factors was not observed. These findings suggest that the functional profile of TILs is a key factor determining PD-L1 expression (12). That is, TILs may be necessary to drive PD-L1 expression in some tumors, but their presence alone is not sufficient to induce PD-L1 and was not an independent factor correlating with clinical response in this relatively limited cohort. Because preclinical evidence suggests that anti–PD-1 can restore dampened B-cell functions (38), we also examined whether the presence and intensity of B-cell infiltrates correlated with clinical outcomes. Similar to our findings with CD3+ TILs, CD20+ B cells were significantly associated with PD-L1 expression by tumor and infiltrating immune cells, but their presence alone did not correlate with clinical outcomes following PD-1 blockade, suggesting the importance of defining cellular functional profiles. Other immune cell types, including suppressive cells (regulatory T cells and myeloid-derived suppressor cells), remain to be explored in the context of PD-1 pathway blockade (39, 40).

Recent work by others to analyze a potential association between pretreatment tumor PD-L1 expression and response to PD-1 pathway blockade—anti–PD-1 (41) or anti–PD-L1 (42)—has confirmed our original observation (16) linking PD-L1+ tumors with the likelihood of treatment response. However, in these new studies, some PD-L1–negative patients also responded to treatment, raising concerns that excluding the “marker negative” patient population from treatment might exclude potential responders. It is important to note that these three studies differ in the anti–PD-L1 mAbs used for IHC, staining techniques (manual versus automated), definitions of PD-L1 “positive” tumor (cell surface versus cytoplasmic expression, by tumor cells only or by other cells in the tumor milieu, threshold of “positivity”), scoring increments, and definitions of PD-L1 “positive” patients (based on a single tumor biopsy, or on maximal expression in the case of multiple biopsies from an individual patient). Also, because of the focal nature of PD-L1 expression within many tumors and emerging information about intratumoral genetic heterogeneity (43), if very small needle biopsies or dispersed single-cell cytology specimens are evaluated, a false-negative evaluation could potentially result. Another potential explanation for PD-L1(−) responders includes yet unidentified factors contributing to response. Despite these methodologic differences, the overall conclusions of these reports are remarkably similar, highlighting a robust association between the PD-L1 marker and mechanism-of-action for this class of drugs.

Although response rates are enhanced in the PD-L1+ patient population, it is currently unknown why the majority of PD-L1+ patients do not respond to PD-1 pathway blocking drugs. One possibility is that PD-L1+ tumors from nonresponders express additional dominant or codominant immune checkpoints supporting treatment resistance. To address this, we examined PD-L2, the second known ligand for PD-1, for possible associations with PD-L1 expression and clinical outcomes. PD-L2 protein detected by IHC was found almost exclusively in geographic association with PD-L1 protein, consistent with its known upregulation by inflammatory cytokines, including IFNγ which also drives PD-L1 expression (44). However, PD-L2 expression was seen less frequently than PD-L1 in our series (in only 8 of 38 specimens examined), and no significant correlation with clinical outcomes was observed. Although the results of our series should be considered preliminary, similar conclusions were drawn in a recent report of PD-L2 expression detected by quantitative molecular techniques, in patients receiving anti–PD-L1 therapy (45). Studies aimed at identifying additional positive or negative predictive markers of response to anti–PD-1 treatment, and potential interactions among multiple factors in the tumor microenvironment, are currently under way in our laboratories.

In summary, this in-depth analysis of multiple factors in pretreatment tumor specimens from patients with advanced cancers receiving anti–PD-1 therapy prioritizes tumor cell PD-L1 expression as being most closely associated with objective tumor regression. It reveals other microenvironmental features, such as TIL PD-1 expression and the intensity of T-cell and B-cell infiltrates, as being associated with PD-L1 expression by tumor cells or immune-infiltrating cells, but not independently associated with treatment response. Thus, PD-L1 expression reflects an immune-active tumor milieu, and may illuminate additional tumor types that should be targeted for clinical testing with PD-1 pathway blockade. These results should still be considered preliminary, and ongoing phase II and III clinical trials of PD-1 pathway blockade are broadening the assessment PD-L1 expression as it relates to clinical outcomes including survival, in larger cohorts of patients. Additional investigations will be necessary to confirm these findings and will address whether multicomponent panels of pretreatment tumor markers may have more powerful associations with clinical outcomes, compared with individual factors. Assessment of on-treatment alterations in tumor molecular profiles will also be necessary to reveal whether tumors lacking PD-L1 expression and TILs may convert to PD-L1–expressing tumors following “priming” with combinatorial treatment regimens designed to incite an immune response, followed by PD-1 pathway blockade to liberate antitumor immunity.
Debbie

Return to “Immune checkpoint inhibitors ICI (PD-1 and PD-L1 targeting drugs)”