Eric Quezada from San Francisco - Dx 2004 - RIP 24/08/2011

Those who lost their battle with ASPS :(
Olga
Admin

Eric Quezada from San Francisco - Dx 2004 - RIP 24/08/2011

Post by Olga »

I was diagnosed at age 38 in 2004 with a primary tumor in my leg, tumor on clavicle and head as well as mets in both lungs. Since then I have had surgeries to remove the tumors from my leg, clavicle, head and 3 thoracotomies. The last one this past January, after my latest scan I have a one tumor in each lung, one of them we had spotted previously the other was a surprise since it was missed in the last surgery.
Overall, I am healthy, stay active and have a great life with my wife and 7 month daughter.

Eric's experience on Cediranib - http://cureasps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=558
Olga
Fictional

Re: Eric

Post by Fictional »

Hi Eric,

Nice to meet you. Sometimes thoracotomies alone can stabilize the disease. It's hard to know how to interpret this data from published data in the past because the scans were less sensitive and many people who had thoracotomies also had some chemo too. There do seem to be individual factors too - in terms of who does better and who progresses.

When we tried to look into this, it seemed as if most surgeons wanted to wait at least a year before considering a redo. Some of that might be because with more rapidly growing cancers, a redo before this time wouldn't improve overall survival / quality of life etc. Decisions about a redo also depend on remaining lung function after thoracotomy, etc., ultimate size of the remaining tumor, and where the tumor is if it could be endangering a main bronchus, heart etc.

There are some people on the list who have had had several mets or a largish ("quarter-sized") met that has not changed in size for years. Unclear if that means it has gone into dormancy or if it is completely dead.

From looking at long term survivors of metastatic ASPS, it looks as if you can get a handle on the disease early (in the first two years), it may stabilize into a more chronic disease pattern. Disseminated at outset has a bad prognosis. There are some of us who had a relatively quiet first few years, then sudden a large tumor is discovered and then it is a battle beating back the cancer. It seems safest with regular scans that detect new tumors before they get too big and potentially lead to more dissemination.
equezada

Update

Post by equezada »

Wanted to give an update, this past year I had two Thoracotamies one on each lung, my 3rd and 4th since I was diagnosed in 2004. My last surgery was in August and I have made a strong recovery, once again playing soccer, bike riding and chasing my 17 month old daughter! My scan at the begining of December came back great no new tumors and for the first time in the 5 years since my diagnosis I have no planned operations, after 8 operations in those years, I am so happy to not have to plan my life around some up comming procedure. Again thanks to all of you who participate on the site, it makes our struggle to survive this disease easier knowing we are not alone. Happy Holidays to you all.
Eric
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Eric - thank you very much for the update, it is so good to hear that you are recovered fast after the 4-th lung surgery and your quality of life bounced back to normal already! I am sure that you will have awesome holiday season, we all learned to appreciate the time when we do not have to deal with this sarcoma issue and can just enjoy the normal wonderful things in this life that many people think are boring:(
I do not remember what the other 4 surgeries were for? (you said 8 surgeries?)
Olga
Fictional

Post by Fictional »

Great to hear from you, Eric.

Hopefully now's the time your ASPS will settle down - have a wonderful holiday season - and thanks for sharing your great news.
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Eric,
Thank you for your thoughtful update and for sharing the wonderful news about your rapid post-thoracotomy recovery and your clear December scans :-). I Hope that you are enjoying a most happy and wonderful Holiday season, and that the coming year will bring continued disease stabilization and healing for you. Please take care and keep in touch with this Board as you are able.
With special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni
equezada

My 45th birthday (Eric)

Post by equezada »

Yesterday I celebrated my 45th birthday! and hope to celebrate many more, thanks for these updates it helps keep my fight up knowing I am not alone
Eric
Olga
Admin

Re: My 45th birthday (Eric)

Post by Olga »

Eric, happy birthday and approaching holiday season!
It is good to hear that our board makes it easier for you to live with ASPS, together we are stronger. Thank you for participating and sharing too.
Olga
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Eric,
Belated Happy 45th Birthday :D, and very best wishes for a most happy and abundantly blessed year ahead that brings healing, renewed good health, and a permanent ASPS cure. Each new day, and every birthday are truly a great victory over this disease and reason for great celebration and joy.
Celebrating with you with happiest wishes and continued Hope,
Bonni
Last edited by Bonni Hess on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cachabamba10

Post by cachabamba10 »

Eric have a awesome B-day guy. Sorry is kind of late.

Take care;

Mario E. Arevalo
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Happy 45! Birthday!
YAY!
I hope that you went out and had a wonderful time :)
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda
equezada

Off Cediranib what next?

Post by equezada »

Just thought I would start a new topic until I move on to next treatment or trial, any suggestions would be helpful. Please see my last post on Eric on Cediranib.
Thanks
Eric
Ivan
Admin

Re: Eric (equezada) - Dx 2004

Post by Ivan »

Eric is now on the Dasatinib trial - http://cureasps.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 3195#p3195
Ivan
Admin

Post by Ivan »

Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Ivan,
Thank you for posting this article regarding the new Gorter Model treatment which Eric will be receiving in Germany. I have been concerned about Eric since he has not posted an update on the Board since April 9th at which time he was participating in the Dasatanib Clinical Trial. The fact that Eric is now pursuing a new treatment in Germany indicates that the Dasatanib was apparently unfortunately unsuccessful in stabilizing the progression of his disease. My very best wishes and greatest Hope are with Eric for a very successful response to his Gorter Model treatment, and I am Hopeful that he will update the Board with information about the treatment and his treatment results when his time and situation allow.
With special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni

Return to “Rest In Peace”