marijuana

Though probably have no effect on disease progression, can have a significant effect on the overall well-being of the patient
Katrinauk

marijuana

Post by Katrinauk »

Ok I understand that many people may feel differently about the intake of marijuana persae. Although there have been studies on the anti cancer properties of marijuana. I have a friend who has studied this for years, and after much research myself, feel its beneficial to share the information of studies I find for you to read. There was a case which took place in 1999 where trial research data had been destroyed by the pharmeceutical business, due to the fact that it was a financial threat to them. Unfortunately, the court case sided with the pharmeceuticals based on lack of evidence. I will also try to find out that information and post here too.

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

ScienceDaily (Apr. 17, 2007) —The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies. They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the

See Also:

compound, Delta-

Health & Medicine

tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration

Lung Cancer

in epidermal growth factor receptor

Lung Disease

(EGFR) expressing non-small cell

Cancer

lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers

Plants & Animals

that over-express EGFR are usually

Mice

highly aggressive and resistant to

Molecular Biology

chemotherapy.

Cell Biology

THC that targets cannabinoid

Reference

receptors CB1 and CB2 is similar in

Metastasis

function to endocannabinoids,

Tumor suppressor

which are cannabinoids that are

gene

naturally produced in the body and

Heat shock protein

activate these receptors. The

Tumor

researchers suggest that THC or other designer agents that activate these receptors might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer. "The beauty of this study is that we are showing that a substance of abuse, if used prudently, may offer a new road to therapy against lung cancer," said Anju Preet, Ph.D., a researcher in the Division of Experimental Medicine. Acting through cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2, endocannabinoids (as well as THC) are thought to play a role in variety of biological functions, including pain and anxiety control, and inflammation. Although a medical derivative of THC, known as Marinol, has been approved for use as an appetite stimulant for cancer patients, and a small number of U.S. states allow use of medical marijuana to treat the same side effect, few studies have shown that THC might have anti-tumor activity, Preet says. The only clinical trial testing THC as a treatment against cancer growth was a recently completed British pilot study in human glioblastoma. In the present study, the researchers first demonstrated that two different lung cancer cell lines as well as patient lung tumor samples express CB1 and CB2, and that non-toxic doses of THC inhibited growth and spread in the cell lines. "When the cells are pretreated with THC, they have less EGFR stimulated invasion as measured by various in-vitro assays," Preet said. Then, for three weeks, researchers injected standard doses of THC into mice that had been implanted with human lung cancer cells, and found that tumors were reduced in size and weight by about 50 percent in treated animals compared to a control group. There was also about a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions on the lungs in these mice as well as a significant reduction in protein markers associated with cancer progression, Preet says. Although the researchers do not know why THC inhibits tumor growth, they say the substance could be activating molecules that arrest the cell cycle. They speculate that THC may also interfere with angiogenesis and vascularization, which promotes cancer growth. Preet says much work is needed to clarify the pathway by which THC functions, and cautions that some animal studies have shown that THC can stimulate some cancers. "THC offers some promise, but we have a long way to go before we know what its potential is," she said. Recommend this story on Facebook, Twitter,
start each day with a smile,
and end each day with no regrets!
Katrinauk

Re: marijuana

Post by Katrinauk »

Q Marijuana for Cancer?

I know that medical marijuana can help relieve nausea and vomiting due to chemotherapy, but recently, I’ve heard about the use of marijuana to actually treat cancer. Is this true? A Answer (Published 7/23/2010)

You're quite right: exciting new research suggests that the cannabinoids found in marijuana may have a primary role in cancer treatment and prevention. A number of studies have shown that these compounds can inhibit tumor growth in laboratory animal models. In part, this is achieved by inhibiting angiogenesis, the formation of new blood vessels that tumors need in order to grow. What's more, cannabinoids seem to kill tumor cells without affecting surrounding normal cells. If these findings hold true as research progresses, cannabinoids would demonstrate a huge advantage over conventional chemotherapy agents, which too often destroy normal cells as well as cancer cells.

Related Weil Products Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging for Cancer Support - Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging - Do you or a loved one have cancer? The Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging online guide has simple, effective preventive health information and tools including an exclusive version of Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid. Join today and get 14 days free!

As long ago as 1975, researchers reported that cannabinoids inhibited the growth of a certain type of lung cancer cell in test tubes and in mice. Since then, laboratory studies have shown that cannabinoids have effects against tumor cells from glioblastoma (a deadly type of brain cancer) as well as those from thyroid cancer¸ leukemia/lymphoma, and skin, uterus, breast, stomach, colorectal, pancreatic and prostate cancers.

So far, the only human test of cannabinoids against cancer was done in Spain and was designed to determine if treatment was safe, not whether it was effective. (In studies on humans, such "phase one trials," are aimed at establishing the safety of a new drug, as well as the right dosage.) In the Spanish study, reported in 2006, the dose was administered intracranially, directly into the tumors of patients with recurrent brain cancer. The investigation established the safety of the dose and showed that the compound used decreased cell proliferation in at least two of nine patients studied.

It is not clear that smoking marijuana achieves blood levels high enough to have these anticancer effects. We need more human research, including well-designed studies to find the best mode of administration.

If you want to learn more about this subject, I recommend an excellent documentary film, "What If Cannabis Cured Cancer," by Len Richmond, which summarizes the remarkable research findings of recent years. Most medical doctors are not aware of this information and its implications for cancer prevention and treatment. The film presents compelling evidence that our current policy on cannabis is counterproductive and foolish. Another reliable source of information is the chapter on cannabinoids and cancer in Integrative Oncology (Oxford University Press, 2009), a textbook I edited with integrative oncologist Donald I. Abrams, M.D.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

For more information, visit Len Richmond's website and watch the trailer of: "What If Cannabis Cured Cancer."
Katrinauk

Post by Katrinauk »

MontanaDadGivesCancer-StrickenBoyMarijuanaBehind Doctor'sBack

Doctors said 2-year-old Cash Hyde would likely die after they found a stage 4 brain tumor surrounding his optic nerve just a year ago this week.

And he nearly did. After being subjected to seven different chemotherapy drugs, the little boy from Missoula, Montana suffered septic shock, a stroke and pulmonary hemorrhaging.

Cash was so sick he went 40 days without eating. His organs were threatening to shut down. His father, Mike Hyde, intervened, slipping cannabis oil into his son's feeding tube.

In Montana, medical marijuana is legal. Hyde had used it himself to treat his attention deficit disorder. When Cash was diagnosed in May 2010, Mike got him a marijuana card and purchased the drug from his own supplier.

Cash, now 3, made a miraculous recovery at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, but his father's bold action -- taken behind doctors' backs -- has raised serious questions about a parent's role in medical treatment.

Hyde said he believes it was the marijuana oil that helped Cash eat again and that the drug --illegal in most states, including Utah, can cure cancer.

"Not only was it helpful," Hyde, 27, told ABCNews.com. "It was a godsend."

Dr. Linda Granowetter, a professor of pediatrics at New York University and chief of the Division of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, told ABCNews.com that Hyde's intervention was "fascinating" but "somewhat bothersome."

Granowetter said she agrees that cannabis -- the chemical form, THC can be found in the prescription drug Marinol -- is effective in treating adult nausea that accompanies chemotherapy. But there have been no clinical trials in children.

"Its virtue is we know exactly what you are getting and how much," she said. "I think that the fact that he didn't have the rapport and ability to be honest with the doctor is very troubling. Care is impeded when there is not complete trust."

Hyde, who quit his job as a car salesman when Cash was diagnosed with cancer, said he was afraid Cash's doctor might take the marijuana away.

"When you are told your kid has cancer, whoa," said Hyde, 27. "Then they tell me they have to do aggressive chemo and he's probably not going to make it. It's a lot to take on."

He had read claims by researchers online about cannabis's properties: "It's one of the best nausea and pain medications on the market," he said.

Because there are no pediatric oncology facilities in rural Montana, where Cash's tumor was discovered in a CT scan at the local emergency room, he was rushed to Salt Lake City, the nearest treatment center.

He was given the highest possible doses of chemotherapy for two months. He lost his appetite and threw up eight to 10 times a day.

"When he started the chemo, he was so sick," said Hyde. "For the first six weeks, he was blind. But his tumor was shrinking… It's the nastiest thing to see someone you love go through this."

Doctors had inserted a gastric feeding tube to administer cancer-fighting drugs and to help with his nutrition, but when August came the family experienced another medical "rollercoaster ride," according to Hyde.

"The G-tube burned out the inside of his stomach," said Hyde. "He didn't even have the will to eat."

By September, Cash had stopped eating for 40 days. "He was suffering terribly, and the doctors said it was the best they could do for him," said Hyde, who asked doctors to stop the chemotherapy drugs.

Instead, Hyde boiled up marijuana he had purchased in Montana with olive oil and measured 3 mm. doses that he poured into his son's G-tube twice a day.

Because it was illegal to use medical marijuana in Utah, Hyde never told his doctors.

Cash Hyde Makes 'Miracle' Recovery'

"In two weeks he was weaned of all the nausea drugs, and he was eating again and sitting up in and laughing," according to Hyde, who said doctors called his son's recovery "a miracle."

NYU's Granowetter said cannabis "certainly can increase appetite and improve mood...but the idea that it can cure cancer is ludicrous."

She said the drug is most effective in teens who have previously used marijuana. "In young adults or children who have not had it before, it can make them paranoid."

"It's awfully hard to gauge if a child would have a bad reaction," according to Granowetter, who said she would welcome clinical trials on children.

"We know from research that 30 to 60 percent of parents with children are giving them alternative meds like vitamins, shark tooth and herbs from Chinatown," she said. "That's why we spend a lot of time asking parents what else they are giving kids and trying to be non-judgmental and work with them and guide them."

She said most pediatric oncologists are "open-minded" about alternative treatments.

Mike Hyde said he did eventually tell the Utah doctors, who were surprised by how Cash bounced back with no permanent organ damage. They say the boy has a 50 to 80 percent chance that the cancer will come back, according to Hyde, who has since started a foundation to help children with cancer.

"We were told I was one of the best dads," said Hyde, who lived with his wife and their other 6-year-old son in a camper in a parking lot for the nine months of treatment. "Every encounter in Salt Lake City, we were positive and never quit fighting. I was told he was going to die, but I knew he hadn't stopped the fight."

For more information on Cash and how to help other children with cancer, go to the Cash Hyde Cancer Foundation.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hi :)
Though i do not use it i know many that have! an to them it is "godsend" there are studies that show it helps in a cure and others that state it doesnt... *shrug* I dont like it but i believe in its power to help with chemo reactions... I usualy just tell people do not smoke it an if you do use a water pipe.. I wish i liked it! lol
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Katrina,
Thank you for opening this thread and for sharing the very interesting, important, and relevant information regarding the positive effects of marijuana not only for relieving cancer caused and treatment related nausea, loss of appetite, pain, and anxiety, but also as a possible targeted cancer treatment which may help to inhibit tumor growth. Based on Brittany's experience and success in relieving chronic debilitating post-op pain and side effects of her Cediranib treatment with the use of medical marijuana, I have repeatedly recommended marijuana to other ASPS patients on this Board who are suffering severe nausea, loss of appetite, and concerning weight loss. It is with the full approval of my husband and I, and all of Brittany's doctors that she uses medical marijuana which she is legally licensed to do in the state of Washington. Without the marijuana, Brittany becomes extremely nauseated, has no appetite, and is unable to tolerate or intake any food or liquids which thus results in very concerning weight loss and dangerous dehydration. She has tried marinol which was prescribed by her oncologist, but it was unfortunately unsuccessful in alleviating her pain, nausea, and loss of appetite. We personally feel that an herbal drug like marijuana is far less toxic and addictive than the very potent and extremely addictive opiate drugs that are readily prescribed by most doctors, and just as readily taken by most patients because they are "legal". The articles that you have posted raise some interesting points and provide some significant data regarding the possible anti-tumor effect of marijuana. About eight years ago when Brittany, with no surgical or ablation intervention or formal systemic treatment experienced a medically unexplainable spontaneous disappearance of all but four of her more than 50 lung mets, her highly respected and nationally known surgical oncologist raised the question as to whether the marijuana may have contributed to the disappearance of the tumors. In your personal message to me Katrina, you also raised an interesting question as to whether Brittany's marijuana use may also have contributed to her thus far very successful and sustained 33 months of disease stability and significant tumor shrinkage. Of course, we have no way of knowing the answer to this, but it would certainly be worthwhile pursuing it with some type of formal study of Cediranib patients who may or may not have used marijuana, and the results of their Cediranib treatment. I Hope that others reading this thread, will come forward to share their anecdotal information regarding marijuana use, either publicly on this Board, or in a private message if confidentiality is preferred or needed.
With deepest gratitude for your sharing, and with special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni
Katrinauk

Post by Katrinauk »

Hey all,
I have been researching into methods of using marijuana, and after talking to a friend who brought to my attention a device Is not heard of before. So below I will list the ways of intake, and a note on that particular method.

SMOKING/JOINTS:
When you place the marijuana with tobacco in rolling papers, and smoke as if a ciggarette.
When smoked, you are effectively combusting the marijuana, causing damage to the herb, meaning less if the proven beneficial HTC and canibinoids are entering the system.
Not only that, but by consuming the tar, nictotine from the tobacco, and carncinogen which are harmful to the lungs.

WATER PIPE/BONG:
A glass tube which has an area for water to be placed in the bottom, a small pipe which pokes out to place the marijuana, and at the top of the tube would be where you draw and inhale the smoke. You hold a flame to the like with marijuana, and slowly draw at the mouth piece until a cloud forms inside, then simply stop the flame and inhale deeply.
Many use this method to avoid the use if tobacco, although when marijuana is cumbusted, you are still inhaling carnicogens, and small amounts of tar.
It is also known that by using this method, you are at risk if developing fluid on the lungs.

HOOKAH:
A traditional Indian piece of equipment, a tall standing tube with smoking hoses that come from the centre piece. Charcoal is usually used to heat in the bottom of the tube, then the marijuana is placed on a piece of gauze, which is then cumbusted and you are able to inhale through the pipes.
As stated above, this method uses combustion of the marijuana, so therefore harmful carcinogens are being inhaled.

PIPE:
A pipe lno different than your traditional smoking pipe, for which you can place a combination of tobacco and marijuana in the end, hold a flame and suck until well lit, and continue to smoke unfilled matter is gone.
This again raises all the alarms as above.

THE HEALTHY METHOD:
A VAPORIZER:
And after researching into this a lot after a friend told me that she uses this method, it needs to be a priority for those who do, or who are considering using marijuana for medical uses.

Now..A vaporizer comes in many different forms, but ate most commonly called an 'aromatherapy/herb vaporizer'.
The way in which these work, is that there is usually a heating element that involves no flame, the ground marijuana is then placed I'm a bowl, which lies over the heating element, therefore it.is being heated, not combusted, as the weed is heated, it releases vapours, which include the beneficial HTC and canibinoids which are proved to inhibit tumour growth, and studies have shiwn to cause spontaneous disappearance too.
The vapour is then inhaled through a pipe, and there you have it, a clean, only beneficial vapour of the plant matter. Marijuana needs to be heated at 180-200 degrees celcius, to release the most HTC and canibinoid levels, at its highest is when it is most useful for pain releif!
Vaporizers as I said come in many different forms, such as,
Portable battery operated
Electric standard
Digital electric
Butane operated
Flame operated.(the flame does not combustion material if used in short episodes)

They can also vary in price too, although I have to say, the procure ones are much better quality and easier to use for beginners.
They can cost anything from 20-400+
During my research on value for money, as I myself would not be willing to pay 400+ on a vaporizer, so I looked at a price range if up to 150. I have read many many reviews, and here are my suggestions on quality products that are easy to use.

Arizer vp 100 - an electric digital vaporizer at around 135 on eBay.
Volcano vaporizer - electric digital, much more expensive, these models range from 200+
Arizer solo - a portable battery operated vaporizer, looks like a walkie talkie, easy to use. 190+
Iolite original - portable, butane generated vaporizer, no adjustable heat setting as ones above. 95+
Magic flight launch box: a very tiny box, portable, battery operated, instant vapour release, 80+

I hope this has been helpful for those of you considering or already using marijuana.
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Katrina,
Once again, thank you for all of your very valued, well researched and documented, insightful, and conscientiously shared information. I have one small correction to the information which you posted, which I know was just a typo but it was repeated throughout your posting. The beneficial ingredient in marijuana is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) rather than HTC as you referred to it. I thought that might be confusing for some people who are unfamilar with marijuana,
Hopefully others on this Board and in the ASPS Community will recognize the great value of shared information, follow your lead, and begin to more actively participate and share with everyone.
With ongoing deepest gratitude, special caring thoughts, and continued Hope,
Bonni
Katrinauk

Post by Katrinauk »

Ooopppsss! Sorry about that typo guys, I update mostly from my mobile, and anybody who uses a predictive text will understand the frustration of many typos we make,lol. Yes, the active ingredient in marijuana is THC, my phone is a HTC, so auto input that from its dictionary.
Sorry if this caused any confusion. Thankyou Bonnie for pointing that error out.
DottyW

Post by DottyW »

Thanks so much for this valuable information.
Jordanne also has a licence for medical marijuana which her radiologist prescribed. Even in states that have legalized medical marijuana you may not be able to get a prescription from a doctor that prescribes narcotics because they have to have a federal licence. Therefore, those doctors could lose their licence because marijuana is not legal at the federal level. Even when they can prescribe it they are discouraged from talking to their patients too much.
Here in Washington it will probably become legal for recreational use by the fall elections. Can't be any worse than alchohol so we might as well collect some tax revenue off it.
Jordanne has had considerable weight loss and nauseau since having radiation on her pelvis a month ago. She is now regularly smoking which is the only thing that gives her an appetite. It has a 3 fold benefit in her case: appetite, nauseau and it also works as a laxative. As many of you know narcotics can be very constipating. the marijuana also works to help her anxiety as well.
I have become a firm believer in the medicinal benefits of this now. But it's really good to read that it may also shrink tumors. Why hasn't this been more widely researched?
Katrinauk

Post by Katrinauk »

Hey dotty,
I found reports during my tesearch that showed proven studies od the marajuana shrinking/inhiniting growth/disappearance of tumours. On that same paoer it stated that this evidence was presented years ago, although, the pharmeceutical business would not support the independent small scale studies done, eventually the study data had been destroyed, leaving speculation that there was some intervention from the pharmeceutical business, as it was a threat on the financial benefits. A very sad fact, but true.
The very same thing happenes with dr bob beck and his machines, that he claimed could cleanse the blood from an external device being placed on the body, uring people from serious diseases.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hello :) I do not use this but i think it is very helpful in many ways to some that have cancer.. to many ways to list it depends on the paitent. I do not though think smoking it is a good idea in the least an drops, eating it, or the inhaler *spelling* Just my 2 cents ;) ...
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda

Return to “Diet and lifestyle”