Disclaimer re. use of CAM/diet for ASPS treatment

Though probably have no effect on disease progression, can have a significant effect on the overall well-being of the patient
Olga
Admin

Disclaimer re. use of CAM/diet for ASPS treatment

Post by Olga »

There has always been a great interest regarding diet and lifestyle modification with the goal of increasing long-term cancer survival with ASPS and any other cancer. I systematically research this subject, and try not to miss any sign of evidence-based proof that some of the proposed techniques really work. So far (September 2010) I have not seen any convincing proof that any of the alternative medicine products, currently being advertised:
  1. work at all
    work in the same way in cancer prevention AND in a treatment of established cancer
    work in the same way for ALL cancers/sarcomas
    DO NOT harm instead of giving a survival advantage
For example, it is often postulated that strengthening one's immune system helps one survive cancer. As a matter of fact, there are some immune system signals that are successfully used by cancers to trick your body into providing them nutrients needed for growth.

Another example is trying to speed up the healing after surgery. The growth factors, used in healing, are also used by cancer to grow. Some herbs, and other remedies, can have some cytotoxic properties, but also a few cancer-promoting properties as they are complex substances with a lot of elements in them.

Some remedies have been found to have positive influence on the survival of the patients with the hormone dependent cancers, and negative influence on patients with the same type of cancer but with positive hormone receptors. This is a very big subject, which is presently very poorly understood and studied.

Based on my understanding of the current scientific knowledge knowledge, I generally support the most basic healthy lifestyle that will keep your body in good shape and your spirit high so you can enjoy your current life in its fullest, and are able to tolerate all the endless treatment and surgeries you need to have in order to survive.

I will, sometimes, remove non-proven posts claiming definitively that some type of diet or food has an advantage for expected survival. Not only is it not proven, but it can also turn out to be harmful as has happened with a few vitamins and supplements in the past.

Cure ASPS international does not endorse any opinions and suggestions expressed by the members of this board and therefore is not responsible for any consequences that may arise from implementing any of treatments or diet or lifestyle modifications discussed on this board. If you want to try any of these, you should always consult your oncologist, and research up-to-date information on Pubmed regarding whatever it is you want to try. If it's not there, chances are it's a waste of time.

WARNING
When you find yourself in a very difficult position, you become susceptible to crooks, and their empty promises who want to sell you some wonder drug. Do not be gullible! Think clearly, and be skeptical of any extraordinary claims which promise outright cures - THEY ARE LYING - even if they sincerely believe it themselves. A "CURE" for ASPS does not exist! Ask them for evidence, medical studies, etc. They won't have any. "My friend's friend was cured by this miracle drug" This is NO evidence! This is a definite case of "if it sounds too good to be true - it is". Walk away. You are about to get ripped off, and the price could be your life.
WARNING
Olga

Return to “Diet and lifestyle”