Q and A re. laser assisted surgery in Coswig

Laser assisted pulmonary metastasectomy by Dr.Rolle
Olga
Admin

Q and A re. laser assisted surgery in Coswig

Post by Olga »

Dr.Rolle's office contacted me and asked to answer the questions of their perspective patient re. possible surgery there. Since the questions are really good for someone who's never been to Germany, I decided to copy this Q and A and post the answers here. I invite anyone who's been there recently add their comments as well.
Ivan had 4 laser assisted surgeries performed by Dr.Rolle on his lungs - each lung was operated on twice. The first one was done in Feb.2003 and the last one in Apr.2009, so some of my info might be outdated, there are people here on the board who's been there recently and may give you an answer if you ask here. His personal topic is here:
http://www.cureasps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66

The questions are formatted in an Italic style so it is easy to see the Q and A:

Q. I understand that Dresden is a very large and beautiful city and that it has Dresden International Airport there. Can you tell me what planes come from the United States to that airport?

A. Dresden is a medium size German city with the very well preserved historic city center and few very well known landmarks and museums. There are no direct flights from US to Dresden (usually) and you will have to change planes in Frankfurt. After arrival to FRA you have to pass EU immigration as it is the first port of entry and then to get to the second short flight to Dresden, the same on the way back. Both flights are ticketed in one ticket - you have to buy the trough ticket to Dresden. The travel agent will know, but you have to watch the connection time - it has to be no less than 3 hours in between the flights otherwise you might find it difficult to make it on time.
The hospital is located in Coswig, it is a suburban to Dresden. It is a very old historical hospital that only treats lungs, specialized in this field, this is why they have more advanced techniques and doctors as they mostly work with the most complex cases referred from Germany and around the world. There are no similar type of hospitals in US or Canada, when all hospital is dedicated to one organ - lungs, it is a highly specialized lungs treatment center. Coswig is a very small town and the hospital has its own territory where the patients can walk after the surgery to speed up recovery. If the patient is still in the pain when there is a time to fly home, you can request an assistance at the FRA airport to help you to change the flights - tell the clerk at the check that the patient is after the recent surgery and needs help (but do not say it was a lung surgery as there might be a problem). They will send an electric car to drive you inside of the airport.

Q. Would we stay at the hospital guest house or a hotel there? If the guest house, do you know the charge? If at a hotel, is there one that has a reasonable price and that is close by?

A. There is a very small guest house at the hospital - it is one upper floor of the admin building across the surgical ward. Sometimes it is all booked but ask them in advance as this is by far the cheapest and most convenient accommodation for the family members. There are also some hotels in about 15 min walk but you will have to ask the hospital people which ones are closest, I do not know. The guest rooms are small but functional and there is also a fully equipped kitchen with the fridge where you can store your groceries. They can be bought at the Kaufland store in Coswig (it is about 15 min walk but print out directions from the Google-maps in advance from Kaufland, Coswig to Fachkrankenhaus Coswig https://goo.gl/maps/nAA21 ). The food is good in Germany. When you arrive to hospital, your husband or you both can stay at the hospital room at the surgical floor two days before of the surgery (one is arrival day and the second is the testing day). After that he will be staying at the ICU for 2-3 days post surgery and a week or 10 days at the same surgical ward as before. You can not stay with him at the ICU but you can stay with him at the surgical floor after the surgery in a double room. So it is up to you but anyways you need a place to stay for the time he is at the ICU. I would get my son a private room at the hospital and a small room for myself at the hospital guest house for all the time we are there. Some people prefer to stay at the double hospital room with the patient, get the hospital guest house room for few days and return back to the surgical floor after. I do not know what the current costs are, they have to tell you.

Q.Do you know if we could be met at the airport or if we would have to take a taxi? If we have to take a taxi would the driver understand where to take us?

A.The easiest way to get to the hospital from the airport is to take a taxi. It is about 30 Euro. Print out directions from the Googlemaps in advance from the Dresden airport to Fachkrankenhaus Coswig and just show it to the driver, no speaking required or copy and open this link https://goo.gl/maps/72Xgl

Q.Can we use traveler's checks there? I understand that wiring money and debit cards and credit cards work.

A. Moneywise I would bring the certified banks check in Euro - ask at your bank - for the base amount and pay for the extras using credit card or cash. It is easier to pay for the groceries and taxi by cash, I also use cash at the airport's duty free and restaurants. I would usually bring 3,000 Euro and they can be stored at the safe for the temporary keeping (it is located at the accounting department).

Q. I was told that we do not need a VISA, just a passport. Is this correct?

A. You do not need any entry visas, only valid US passport.

Q. Will there be internet there for us to use?

A.There is a coin operated internet station downstairs at the hospital, they break the bills down to the coins at the reception, just tell them - internet. There is also an option to get a mobile internet on the smart phone, I can ask later someone who is recently from Europe's trip and used it.

Q. Do you know what percentage taxi drivers waiters and others are tipped?

A. It is about 20%.

Q.Can I bring my curling iron and heating pad? I have been told that the electrical system is different.

A.You need a travel adapter for the electricity - for Europe. There is a small blow drier in all the rooms - at the hospital or the guest house.

Q. Will there be some place for me to do laundry there?

A. The hospital provides the laundry service and it is charged by a bag, they will tell you while you there how much it is currently.

Q. I need to know how to pack. What is the weather like in the summer, day and night temperatures and rain?

A. It is hot during the day when it is not raining, but moderate. Use wunderground weather web-site, there is a trip planning tool. You need a cardigan and a light windbreaker plus an umbrella for the rainy day. Other than that it is a T-short weather.

Q. Do you know how much notice Dr. Rolle needs ahead of time to schedule the surgery?

A. He is usually busy but they try to accommodate the patient based on how soon the surgery needs to be done, his assistant will let you know.

Q. I was told that sometimes patients go home for a few weeks to heal between lung surgeries. Do you know anything about that?

A. We went home for 3 months between the surgeries but my son's sarcoma is a very slow growing kind. Other people rented a small place in the area and stayed for a month in between the surgeries. You need to previously operated lung to recover fully to support the breathing after another one is done.
Olga

Return to “Laser assisted surgery”