Clinical Cancer Advances 2017: Annual Report on Progress Against Cancer From the American Society of Clinical Oncology

Latest academic material presented
D.ap

Clinical Cancer Advances 2017: Annual Report on Progress Against Cancer From the American Society of Clinical Oncology

Post by D.ap »

A MESSAGE FROM ASCO’S PRESIDENT
I am pleased to present Clinical Cancer Advances 2017, which highlights the most promising advances in patient-oriented cancer research over the past year. The report gives us an opportunity to reflect on what an exciting time it is for cancer research and how swiftly our understanding of cancer has improved.

One year ago, the White House announced the national Cancer Moonshot program to accelerate progress against cancer. This shared vision of progress has reinvigorated the research community, identified new areas of scientific collaboration, and raised our ambitions regarding what may be possible beyond the progress we have already made.

When I entered the field 35 years ago, I could not have imagined where we would be today. We can now detect cancer earlier, target treatments more effectively, and manage adverse effects more effectively to enable patients to live better, more fulfilling lives. Today, two of three people with cancer live at least 5 years after diagnosis, up from roughly one of two in the 1970s.

This progress has resulted from decades of incremental advances that have collectively expanded our understanding of the molecular underpinnings of cancer. There is no better current example of this than ASCO’s 2017 Advance of the Year: Immunotherapy 2.0.

http://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/JCO.2016.71.5292
Debbie

Return to “Sarcoma Meetings and Conferences”