Green tea capsules can interfer with the targeted therapy

Side effects, drug interactions, possible use of complimentary and alternative therapy during the treatment, etc.
Olga
Admin

Green tea capsules can interfer with the targeted therapy

Post by Olga »

Some components of green tea may counteract the anticancer effects of one cancer therapy, bortezomib (Velcade(R)), and may be also contraindicated in other cases as well - there are no sufficient number of studies done but it is a warning:

Green tea polyphenols may have the potential to negate the therapeutic efficacy of bortezomib and the study strongly urge patients undergoing bortezomib therapy to abstain from consuming green tea products, in particular the widely available, highly concentrated green tea and EGCG products that are sold in liquid or capsule
form. The team found that EGCG only reacted with proteasome inhibitors that have a boronic acid base (including bortezomib) but did not react with several non-boronic acid-based proteasome inhibitors.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/02/prweb1955794.htm
Olga
Amanda

Re: Green tea capsules can interfer with the targeted therapy

Post by Amanda »

Thank you Olga :)
I do drink green tea and did even befor ASPS. I will talk to my Onc if he starts any treatments...
Along with the list of things i will be starting that may also interact badly with treatments.

Amanda R
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Since you start the radiation therapy soon you should not take any antioxidants during that, it can compromise its efficacy as much as 25-30 % according to some Canadian study that I read (I was actually surprised that they really can protect someone from the radiation damage, when the protection is needed. When we do radiation therapy the damage is the goal of the therapy so the protection doesn't make a sense).
Olga
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hello Olga,
Yes, i was told that by the doctors also.
I found it interesting that not five minutes before that they said that taking these things really didnt make a change with cancer yet they want me off of them for the treatments. It protects healthy cells and they said maybe the bad ones also they do not know. In my updates i put what i am trying to start today.. Oh my lord it is vile. But, my sister did this and she survived breast cancer IV. Also, others are doing this and two from what i am told by my doctor have ASPS that had not spread and after a few years it was still not spreading :/ I dont know at this point i know Flax is very good for everyone so i figure it couldnt hurt. Has anyone you know of done this also?
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda

Return to “Side effects of systemic treatments”