Question about NIH Trial transportation & housing expenses

One of the most promising trials currently open.
Bonni Hess

Question about NIH Trial transportation & housing expenses

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear NIH Cediranib Trial Patients and Families,
For many of those considering enrollment in the NIH Cediranib Trial, the expense of flying to Maryland for the frequent required Clinical visits and the cost of housing during the time spent there may be cost prohibitive making participation in this promising Trial very financially difficult or impossible. If I remember correctly, I thought that NIH reimburses the patient for housing, but I can't remember if they also pay for transportation, so could any of you who have the answers regarding what expenses NIH pays for please post it here on this topic so that anyone considering the Trial can have that information available to them to help them with their decision if transportation and housing expenses are a factor in their decision to enroll in the Trial? Thank you.
With special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni
DottyW

Re: Question about NIH Trial transportation & housing expens

Post by DottyW »

All,
NIH reimburses travel at a rate that they figure out from some formula,it's probably on the website. They also credit about $50 a day for hotel as I recall. They also give a small stipend for meals. The case worker gives you a voucher after each visit which has to be taken to the voucher office for processing.
If a patient is under 25 they can stay at the Children's Inn free. Jordanne and I have stayed there for most of her visits. I know that Mario stayed there as well. The Inn is a wonderful place supported by many of the drug companies. The staff is wonderful. You clean your own room each visit before leaving. Both inns have shuttle to and from Building 10 which you simply call for.
A couple of times, we were bumped and had to find a hotel nearby. They have a list of hotels that give NIH rates. They also have a list of hotels that are on the shuttle route to NIH so you don't have to pay for taxis or wait for the taxi driver to go through security every time. They try to make it as convenient as they can.
If a patient is admitted to the hospital there, the family can stay at the Saffra Family Lodge on campus. I believe that this is also free.
When you first start on the trial, a social worker walks you through all of these things. They also have a lot of informaiton on thier websites. There are free shuttles from the 3 DC area airports, Baltimore, Reagan Natl and Dulles. If you work your travel right you won't have to wait long for one. There is also a travel office at NIH that will book flights for you. We have always done our own. A taxi from BWI (Baltimore) costs almost $100 so it's definitely worth catching the shuttle. We generally fly into Baltimore because the cost is generally less if we use the shuttle. We have to leave Seattle at the crack of dawn to make it there before the last shuttle of the day.
I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Dotty
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Dotty - thank you very much for the very thorough answer, I have reposted in into the Financial assistance area as it would apply to NIH trials not only to cediranib and will be more visible there.
Olga
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Dotty,
Thank you for your very thoughtful and detailed response. This information will be very helpful to those who are considering the Cediranib Trial or any other Clinical Trials at NIH because transportation and housing expenses associated with Clinical Trial participation are certainly a huge financial burden as we have found with Brittany's participation in the Cediranib Trial in Edmonton which unfortunately doesn't have any provisions for financial assistance for transportation and housing for patients and their family members.
With special hugs and deepest gratitude for your thoughtful sharing,
Bonni

Return to “Cediranib”