dietary restrictions/Cediranib trial

One of the most promising trials currently open.
Olga
Admin

dietary restrictions/Cediranib trial

Post by Olga »

This is the list of the dietary restrictions during the participation on the Cediranib trial that is posted by Bonni Hess in the other topic so I copy it here for the reference:

"Green tea is one of the things that Brittany is not allowed to drink while on the Cediranib because it can apparently possibly interfere with the effectiveness of the medication, as well as the other dietary restrictions which include grapefruit, watermelon, red wine, kumquats, and star fruit, blood oranges, sour or bitter orange, pomegranate, camomile tea, black mulberry juice, Guggal Resin (which is a natural product of India), pummelo, shaddock, and, pamlemousse."
Olga
skyflower

Re: dietary restrictions/Cediranib trial

Post by skyflower »

Are there any references for the non-grapefruit foods listed?
In discussing dietary restrictions with Lucio's doctors at NCI, grapefruit was the only forbidden fruit (well, just grapefruit juice). We asked about some of the others, but they were not listed, just grapefruit juice. I am especially interested in references regarding green tea and cediranib, as we drink this frequently.
Due to increase in liver enzymes side effect, tylenol, motrin (pain relievers in general), and drinking is prohibited.
Due to diarrhea side effect, spicy foods are discouraged, and bananas are greatly encouraged.
Due to increase in diastolic blood pressure side effect, blood pressure needs frequent monitoring.
Bonni Hess

Re: dietary restrictions/Cediranib trial

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Skyflower,
The dietary restrictions which are listed are those that were given to Brittany by the Clinical Trial staff at Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton, Alberta where she is participating in a Phase 1 Cediranib Clinical Trial. I don't know the basis or rationale for these food restrictions other than it was indicated to us that they might interfere with the effectiveness of the Cediranib medication. Brittany has definitely experienced an increased intolerance to eating spicy foods due to severe mouth sensitivity and also acid reflux and indigestion. Eating bananas is probably a very good idea to provide potassium to help ease the joint pain which is a common side effect of the Cediranib. Has Lucio begun the Cediranib Trial at NCI, and if so, is he tolerating the medication alright thus far? My very best wishes and greatest Hope for treatment success are with him, and I will be anxiously awaiting your updates on his Cediranib experience and results. In the meantime, please take care and keep in touch with this Forum as you are able.
With special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni

Return to “Cediranib”