Microwave ablation with cooled-tip electrode for liver cancer-Joshua's experience

Treatment of liver metastases
D.ap

Microwave ablation with cooled-tip electrode for liver cancer-Joshua's experience

Post by D.ap »

Re: Josh from Kansas - Dx Sep 2012
Postby D.ap » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:46 am

Hello all

We spoke with our primary oncologist yesterday after we had our extended CT of chest/abdomen and our 3 1/2 week MRI of the brain performed.
The brain MRI gave us excellant news of " decreased size, diminished enhancement and improving vasogenic edema associated with the rounded dominant( ablated) lesion with in the left coronaradiata"

Its gone from 3.3cm on May 21 to 2.5cm. The SRS lesions on right have remained stable. Great news. We are now down to 4mg of dexamethesone and have not had any headaches or suggestions of seizures. :D

However our liver lesion and lung lesions were not players with the temador treatment. Not to suggest that temador helped in anyway with the brain.

The liver from our April 8 to june 13 went from 3.5x2.0cm to 4.3x2.5cm
The lung lesions are showing increases between 1mm and 5mm from April 8 according to report, however the impression says
VERY SLIGHT INCREASE IN SIZE OF INNUMERABLE PULMONARY NODULES THROUGHOUT BOTH LUNGS. NO NEW ABNORMALITIES.
The doctor gave a a name of a doctor at Menorah to see about RFA and we have a call into New york Memorial sloan kettereing to proceed with ablating the liver tumor.

Will update later
Prayers welcome

Love to you all
Debbie and family
Last edited by D.ap on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie
D.ap

Re: Microwave abaltion of liver tumor

Post by D.ap »

by D.ap » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Dear all

We have finished our liver ablation in Detroit today and Josh is doing well!

The procedure
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1 ... 03/related

Dr. Aoun feels very confident that the liver tumor was successfully ablated. He was also able to get a biopsy of the tumor so we will have a look see as to what genome profile we have .
The liver part of the body cavity was filled with solution to buffer the skin from burns as the tumor was on the very outside of liver surface.

I will write more as I find out more information.

Love
Debbie
Last edited by D.ap on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Hello all

Kids home yesterday and damn glad to be home!
Josh ran out of pain killers prior to flight and you all know the rules as perscribed pain killers are regulated

His night was less than relaxing however we are on the righ track. :)

Incisions look good but he feels bloated..and pain.

Will continue with input on personnel and liver ablation as info collected.

Love to all
Debbie
Sent from my iFone
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

by D.ap » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:01 am

Hello all

We've recently had an extended CT scan and as was predicted the tumor has increased.

Complete ablation creates an area of necrosis that, at CT, is of low attenuation compared with the surrounding liver tissue, is often homogeneous, and has smooth margins. The most important features are the size of the necrotic defect, which, immediately after treatment, should be larger than that of the pretreatment tumor, and the sharpness of the margins, which indicates an abrupt change in attenuation between the necrotic tissue and surrounding liver tissue. Enhancement, when present, is due to perfusion abnormality or granulation tissue and forms a regular rim or a homogeneous zone at the margin of the defect. It is seen immediately after ablation but may be prolonged. Enhancement is affected by the scanning technique. Over time, the size of the defect remains stable or decreases. Any variation from this general pattern is suggestive of incomplete ablation or recurrence.

I believe that another follow-up scan will happen in 3 months but I will let you know soon what I find out.

Link to liver radiology after RFA ablation

Radio-frequency Ablation of Liver Tumors: Assessment of Therapeutic Response and Complications

http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/r ... g01oc08s41

Love to all
Debbie

Last edited by D.ap on Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Olga
Admin

Re: Microwave ablation with cooled-tip electrode for liver cancer-Joshua's experience

Post by Olga »

Ablated met size had to show an increase in the size after the procedure is done (first post ablation scan)- as they cook the tumor and also in addition create the big margins of the dead tissue around it as a safety measure. But at 6 moths mark or just the second post ablation scan it has to start reducing in the size or at least stay exactly the same. Otherwise it is a local progression after the incomplete ablation, and large tumors are at rist of an incomplete ablation. It is often re-treatable by the same ablation dr locally, to fix some specific area.
Olga
D.ap

Re: Microwave ablation with cooled-tip electrode for liver cancer-Joshua's experience

Post by D.ap »

Correct Olga
We also were lucky to have real time scanning during the procedure to help Dr Auon scout his progress.
I believe he used 2 probes as the tumor was at the top end of size .
The liver from our April 8 to june 13, in 2015,from 3.5x2.0cm to 4.3x2.5cm.
So that's where we were pre ablation
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

I stand corrected
This was cyroblation , not microwave ablation .😏💕
Debbie

Return to “Liver metastases”