Engels Suriel from Rhode Island - Dx 2011

ASPS patients post updates here, including tales of success :)
D.ap

Re: Engels Suriel from Rhode Island - Dx 2011

Post by D.ap »

Engels

Hello again. Your information helps us all to look at the big picture as well as we can.
THe following is what we as a family have learned in a nut shell. Scans give us information on where there may be ASPS lurking. We try not to do a wait and see on the tumors appearing by symptoms. We call it search and destroy!
Typical places the tumors travel are lungs, brain and bones . However we have friends here who have experienced tumors on spines, ribs, adrenal glands and in the heart. :(

Finding the tumors at their SMALLEST size gives all of us time to plan to take care of them wherever they are choosing to grow.
As I understand it, your brain tumors definently your first priority.

What does your doctor have to say about Pazonib? What is his goal with this chosen drug? Does he have you on a scan schedule with your lungs AS WELL as your brain?

Tumors are typically slow growing in the lungs but in the brain they seem to be more aggressive .

In reference to your lungs anytime you have tumors that show up on scans they have become ASPS vascular! Veins equals the sarcomas highways to other parts of the body. So the sooner you can possible take care of the big tumors the better. Less tumors equals less load on the body and enables the body to fight the cancer.

Olga and Ivan have had the best luck with just performing surgeries. They have ablated a lot of Ivan's tumors. He has been fighting for along time. Over 10 years.

We have looked long and hard to find a doctor who will listen to US and not just the publications. Any one who is familiar with statics knows that if you are dealing with a small number that statistics can be skewed. So when papers are written about survival of an ASPS patient it looks pretty grime to the doctors. We ,as a family, you have chose to see the glass half full! So I hope you have found a doctor who believes that you can survive this horrible disease as much as you do!

If nothing else remember we are all here if needed for you and your family.

Much love
Debbie and family
Last edited by D.ap on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Engels, there is really no known and proven chemotherapy treatment for ASPS, everything is in the clinical trials and developments. All our patients had different treatment plans with diff.success, but in general you have to be on the top of things and not to be casual about any scans, i.e. if the oncologist does not look concern re. the biggest met being close to the heart - you should be, it can be treated separately to address the most dangerous ones to buy more time to experiment with other treatments. There is a super doc close to you that does tumor ablations (when the separate tumors treated versus systemic treatments when people take drugs to treat all the body) I would consult him
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Diagno ... Dupuy.html
(Dr. Dupuy is the director of Tumor Ablation at Rhode Island Hospital and a Professor of Diagnostic Imaging at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.)
read our board, starting from the Personal Updates to get some idea of the treatments. We do not intend to replace the drs advice or to guide the treatments, but we actively share who does what and with what result, or what could be done - so people discuss it with their drs or consult other relevant drs to get treated. We read the publications and if we see anything relevant we share it to.
For example, I just read the very fresh post from Elisa mother in Pazopanib topic ( Board index ‹ Systemic Treatment ‹ TKI ‹ Pazopanib) and Elisa had her centrally located lung met radiosurgically treated and they expect the treatment to be more effective because Elisa is on the Pazopanib that may improve the efficacy.

BTW - this treatment combo you are on (votrient 200mg and rapamune 2mg) - is it a clinical trial? On a clinical trial there are limitations as what other treatments you can do off trial.
What else did they see in the brain scan that they decided to have WBRT instead of the radiosurgery, how many other mets are there? The radiosurgery is currently used for 1-4 mets but some docs would treat any number as long as they are all accessible. Radiosurgery was found to be very effective for ASPS brain mets when the size is small.
Olga
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hello Engles :)
I am one of the patients that gets surgeries like a wild woman! I had two the first year and now this a few years later... Chemo is for when there is NO other thing to do in my opinion an you have a choice with this evil met. Please, listen to what Olga said lets get that out asap an se Dr Dupuy *I love that name lol * Get that met out asap :( an post to Ivan he will be able to walk you thru the recovery! Its not like the open lung surgeries... Please for your asps sister send the pictures to that Dr an talk to him this week coming up.. then that will be out of the way an you can take a breath. Between surgeries it is time to sit in the sun an celebrate life an smile... But, its a race an this met seems to be pulling away from you an dam that met an kick its rump an send the information an scan please :(

Yes, i am pushing you an i am sorry :( But, i wouldn't be if it wasn't so important... I promise! The treatment is so much easier then the other potions trust me i had the open lung surgery it waa not a picnic hehee
Post to Ivan an read what he has posted already :)

I'm not a Dr i am a patient an have been for about five years at war! I know it is safe to send this information to this Dr and i know that after you can talk to Ivan an then you an your loved ones can make a path you pick...

I am going to tell you what i tell everyone i meet with sarcoma... Questing EVERYTHING a Dr tells you! It is your body and life not theirs an you are the captain of this ship! Never turn that over to anyone! Question if this is right for you and what other options you have! Have posts here read and ask other patients if you know of them off line! Be vigilant and be at war!
Take a few days to make your mind up but not much longer! If it is on your mind there is a reason an act <3

Ok off my stool and laying back down <3

Hugs to you and your wife! :)
“Many times it is much more important to know what kind of patient has the disease, than what kind of disease the patient has”.
"The microbe is nothing, the soil is everything)""
Claude Bernard~

Amanda
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Engels,
I agree with the advice that Olga and Amanda have shared with you regarding the importance of pursuing treatment for your largest lung met near your heart. I understand that you have too many lung mets to treat individually, but the largest and most concerning ones like the one near your heart should definitely be treated before it grows too large and becomes too dangerous to surgically remove or to be untreatable by ablation or radiosurgery. Laser resection of all of your CT visible or physically palpable lung mets with Dr. Rolle in Germany would be the best option, but you may not be a candidate for this procedure if you have active brain mets since it is my understanding that he will not accept patients with tumors in other areas of the body other than the lungs. Cryoablation of the met if it is possible would be the next best option since it has proven to be successful for Brittany, Ivan, and several other ASPS patients in treating and destroying large or dangerously located lung mets. Hopefully the Votrient will be successful in stabilizing the progression of your disease and shrinking and destroying your lung mets, but since it has unfortunately not been shown to provide very significant tumor shrinkage for most ASPS patients thus far, and some mets are resistant to it, I would encourage you to seek treatment for any large or dangerously located mets to ensure that they don't grow too large to treat. Olga has provided you with an excellent reference for a doctor located in your area who could Hopefully ablate the concerning met near your heart. Also, although you have undergone Whole Brain Radiation (WBR), I would encourage you to pursue Gamma Knife for the individual tumor located at the back of your head to shrink and destroy it since ASPS is notroiously radiation resistant and the less focussed and more widely disseminated application of WBR may unfortunately not be adequate to kill the tumor as has been the case with several ASPS patients who underwent WBR. As Olga said, "We do not intend to replace the drs advice or to guide the treatments, but we actively share who does what and with what result, or what could be done - so people discuss it with their drs or consult other relevant drs to get treated." The advice, input, and information that we share is based on our personal ASPS experiences and extensive research which will Hopefully help others to be as well informed and knowledgeable as possible in fighting this extremely rare and little known, even by many oncologists, disease. The doctors don't usually have the time to gather as much anecdotal treatment information as those of us on this Board have to share, and consequently they are often not aware of the unpredictable nature of this insidious disease and the critical importance of a pro-active approach rather than a wait and see one. If your oncologist(s) is/are resistant to supporting treatment for your concerning lung met located near your heart, as well as Gamma Knife for the tumor at the back of your head, I would encourage you to share information from this site with him/them, or to seek treatment from a more pro-active and knowledgeable sarcoma oncologist. Take care Engels and let Hope continue to guide you through each day on this challenging journey.
With special caring thoughts, healing wishes, and continued Hope,
Bonni
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Engels

I hope you are finding answers to your questions
When will your next MRI of your brain be performed ?
Also when is your next lung CT scan?
How is the votrient treating you ?
Write when is good for you

Sincerely
Debbie
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Ps. I was thinking about your vomiting problem in taking voltrient. Have you had an abdominal scan and how has your blood work looked to the doctors ? I assume you are having blood work frequently .
Any adrenal issues?
There is NO doubt that the drug will be hard on you.

Write when you are able

Debbie
Debbie

Return to “Personal Stories and Updates”