Vorinostat

Trials that are open to ASPS patients.
argonaut

Vorinostat

Post by argonaut »

this is a clinical trial that has been purposed to us. Does anyone have any info or comments/opinions on this.

http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct/show/NC ... 12?order=1

I am still going through the protocal.
Olga
Admin

Vorinostat - Suberoylanilide Hydroxamic Acid, SAHA

Post by Olga »

Scott - this trial looks promising although the first arm is not that good - they already did the MTD dose finding trial for adults so it is only a matter of the FDA requirements to repeat the dose finding procedure for children. This is the link to the trial for adults using oral formulation (they also tried IV):
Phase I study of an oral histone deacetylase inhibitor, suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid, in patients with advanced cancer.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum
and there is also Phase II Trial of Oral Vorinostat in Lymphoma so if you will be able to find full text of this two articles there will be enough information reg. its side effects.
The other drug they are going to try in the combination is well known and used for the acne, papillomatosis, seborrhoea etc. treatment so I have no idea what is the connection here, they found that has antiproliferative effect on human sebocytes and it is not without its side effects too
A population-based analysis of laboratory abnormalities during isotretinoin therapy for acne vulgaris.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum
I found the trial when adding of the retinoic acid to the IFN had significant effect on the survival time
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_DocSum
You may be already found these articles on the PubMed too. What about the cough you told us the other day, does it persist? I remember that Pamela Ham had the same situation and they did a bronchoscopy to find a reason for the hemoptysis and found a bronchial involvement not visible on the CT scan so the decision was made to do a cyberknife procedure for these mets. bronchial involvement means direct extension to the bronchi from adjacent metastatic nodules when they press on the bronchial walls. I mean that may be before you start the trial you need to try to address a few central mets which may be critical now by the some kind of ablation and then to proceed with the trial? I remember that Dr.Littrup did something close for Joe Conlin, they needed to manufacture some tube to insert into the trachea to heat it during the procedure to protect its walls, although they needed to do a full sized surgery next year after that by James Luketich, MD Thoracic Surgeon, UPMC Pittsburgh, PA.
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

We decided not to do this clinical trial. It was my opinion that the main agent acted mostly on fast growing cells. And, due to the slow growth rate of ASPS it was not worth the risk for us.

Olga, as far as Anthony's coughing up blood. It appears to have been only that one night.

Scott
Olga
Admin

reg enrolment decisions

Post by Olga »

Scott - Anthony mets are mostly stable, right? Our oncologist says that it doesn't make a sense to enroll into any trials when the situation is stable as there is no way to determine if the treatments is working in case if next time is stable again so the patient just stays on a trial to take the drug which may be doesn't do anything good and might actually be harmful in some way.
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

His mets have slight growth. as far as new mets they couldn't say. Too many to tell. He has a another scan tomorrow so we will see if anything has changed.

Return to “Other Clinical Trials”