Perifosine for Chemo-Insensitive Sarcomas

Trials that are open to ASPS patients.
argonaut

Perifosine for Chemo-Insensitive Sarcomas

Post by argonaut »

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 02?order=2

I just noticed this. I have not seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought I would post it.

Scott
Olga
Admin

perifosine in sarcomas

Post by Olga »

Scott - I have seen the trial but I do not know what is the rationale for trying it in our sarcoma, there was an earlier report from Canada (and it is Ivan's oncologist who is written it) that no objective responses were seen in 16 patients on a trial:
A phase II study of perifosine (D-21226) in patients with previously untreated metastatic or locally advanced soft tissue sarcoma: A National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group trial.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=16528479

May be they have a reason to suggest it's activity in ASPS I do not know.
Fictional

Post by Fictional »

My oncologist noticed this at the latest CTOS meeting:

Oral drug, mostly mild GI side effects. 6 out of 10 alveolar soft part sarcoma patients showed clinical benefit - by Choi criteria (change in CT appearance) or stable disease (we do know ASPS can be stable without treatment).

www.ctos.org/meeting/2007/presentations/860.ppt
(powerpoint required)

They are still recruiting I think.
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Thanks 'F', we (I and Bonni) have been waiting for the presentation to became avail. as so far we only had an abstracts from the CTOS 2007.
As you reasonable saying ASPS can be stable with no treatment, the change in CT appearance should be verified by the surgery - if there is a necrosis although the central necrosis is often present initially in the ASPS tumors, may be it is better to compare its MRI scans?
The main question is if there will be any benefit from the point of survival not from the point of response. Most of the sarcoma patients respond to the Avastin treatment for example but not life time benefit from it in the end as the pace of growth increases as resistance develops.
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

The PR response is encouraging, but in my opinion the stable disease is not useful as it is at 3 months. As most here know ASPS grows slow enough that 3mnths is not a very long time. Not even long enough to determine progression.

A plus though is this is a phase II study.

Return to “Other Clinical Trials”