New Anti-Angiogenic Agents Now Approved (Pazopanib etc.)

Tyrosine kinase inhibitors, blocking various signaling pathways.
Fictional

New Anti-Angiogenic Agents Now Approved (Pazopanib etc.)

Post by Fictional »

I thought I'd start a new topic (Olga, move this wherever you feel is appropriate)

There are now a number of promising anti-angiogenic agents approved by the FDA - so made the leap from clinical trials. The importance of approval means that patients can get them from their regular pharmacy and have insurance get them (so not have to travel to the ends of the earth for treatment, and not get kicked out of trials because growth is > 20%.

The latest new arrival is Pazopanib which has terrific sustained response rate in renal CA (years), low side effect profile, but still TKI class potential side effects, and effective in at least 1 patient with ASPS (don't have details - response lead trial investigators to open cohort to ASPS specifically). Pazopanib was just approved 10/19/09, so there still may be a little delay getting it into 'formularies', but the data are so strong, that it should make it fairly quickly.

Another agent is Afinitor, also know as Everolimus, or early RAD001. This is an mTOR inhibitor. Generally very well tolerated as well although some mouth ulcers in the first 2 weeks that tend to improve. Rarely there can be a lung complication though that can be very serious.
Olga
Admin

Re: New Anti-Angiogenic Agents Now Approved (Pazopanib etc.)

Post by Olga »

As 'F' said that she was checking into Pazopanib, the specialty pharmacy that works through Blue Cross / Walmart pharmacies said they thought Pazopanib would be available in their pharmacy as early as the middle of next week - in the middle of Nov.2009. I just wanted to add that since its mode of action is similar to cediranib, it might be a useful drug if resistance to cediranib is developed. I spoke to a principal investigator of the cediranib trial here in Vancouver (which is now closed) and he said that he has seen cases when if the patient was initially responsive to one Anti-Angiogenic drug but developed resistance, they would try the other drug from the same class and in some cases obtain long lasting response again - as they are from the same class but still different drugs.
Olga

Return to “TKI”