The Comprehensive ASPS Scan Schedule & Discussion + Advice

Greetings and general communication. If you are new, introduce yourself here! ;)
D.ap

Re: The Comprehensive ASPS Scan Schedule & Discussion + Advice

Post by D.ap »

Get to know your slice sizes..
Scan resolution dpi and or ppi

Many times people refer to resolution with the term DPI, "dots per inch", or with PPI, "pixels per inch"
Ask your radiologist the resolution of your machine and or
what is the smallest slice ( mm) , the machine takes , as it takes pictures .

What radiologist technicions are reading.The detail a radiologist has to consider .

CT Physics: CT Reconstruction and Helical CT

http://xrayphysics.com/ctsim.html

The idea once again is to find ASPS at its absolute smallest size and make desicions on how to best get rid of it.
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

As heart mets become more prevalent with folks with ASPS, there needs to be awareness of the ever possible , asymtomatic heart met.
Sometimes the only clues patients have is arthymia , however being aware of that possibility is half the battle of finding and treating it at a small size .

When not looking for it, doctors may not use the right techniques / scans to actually find /look for a heart tumor .

So as a patient, make a metal note of the possible happening .

MRI and echocardiogram are the best resolutioned type tools found by Ivan and Jussi, to use .

Metastatic Involvement of the Heart and Pericardium: CT and MR Imaging | RadioGraphics

https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/ ... g01mr15439
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

If a young child is dx’d early on with ASPS.
The discussion please —

Love
Debbie
Ckwelk

Post by Ckwelk »

Ivan, my oncologist just ordered a PET scan for me next week as the ASPS in my tongue has spread to my breast (I found the lump so they biopsied it) and diagnosed it as such. Should I be asking for a different test as I had a PET scan in July of this year and it did not show anything except for the tumor in my tongue. The mass in my breast is 1.4 cm and i am shocked it did not show in July? Thanks for your input.
Courtney
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

1.4 cm ASPS met is pretty usual not to show on the PET.
The first staging scan for ASPS should be lungs CT based on its typical metastatic pattern, followed by the brain MRI.
Olga
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Ckwelk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:03 pm Ivan, my oncologist just ordered a PET scan for me next week as the ASPS in my tongue has spread to my breast (I found the lump so they biopsied it) and diagnosed it as such. Should I be asking for a different test as I had a PET scan in July of this year and it did not show anything except for the tumor in my tongue. The mass in my breast is 1.4 cm and i am shocked it did not show in July? Thanks for your input.
Courtney
Ivan , Courtney and Olga ,

If I might respond as well.

I would venture to say the tumor on your breast was prob 6mm ish or less , when u had your surgery .
Surgery can increase growth in metastatic sites that generally are a result of most of primaries of ASPS patients removal , is my understanding .

So your current pet scan compared seen in your June scan verses current scan, may not of shown or was missed by technician doing the read ?

Olga looks like a 2:1 chance below 6mms?

Minimum lesion detectability as a measure of PET system performance

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5337231/
Last edited by D.ap on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Debbie
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Pet scan

Attenuation Correction

“Attenuation is the loss of detection of true coincidence events because of their absorption in the body or due to their scattering out of the detector field of view. Attenuation problems are greater with PET imaging compared to traditional nuclear medicine SPECT imaging. Even though the photons are of greater energy than those used in SPECT imaging, in PET imaging two photons must escape the patient simultaneously to be detected as a true event and the mean photon path distance from emission to detection is greater with a PET camera than with a SPECT camera. The loss of true coincidence event detection due to attenuation in PET imaging can range between 50 to 95%, especially great in a larger person.”

https://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/courses ... ation.html
Debbie

Return to “Guest Book”