Covid - vaccination?

Greetings and general communication. If you are new, introduce yourself here! ;)
MartinBube

Covid - vaccination?

Post by MartinBube »

Hi to everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right topic but, have any of you discussed if ASPS patient should receive a COVID vaccine? Any risk than a person with no ASPS?
D.ap

Re: ATTENTION ALL PD-1 patients: 5x higher response rates reported on a HIGH FIBER DIET and more lifestyle things

Post by D.ap »

Hi Martin,
Here’s a post I started back in April of 2020.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1881&p=14757&hilit=Covid#p14757
Or maybe Olga would like to setup a discussion , independent of Ivan’s above post .
Debbie
Olga
Admin

Re: Covid - vaccination?

Post by Olga »

Hi Martin, it is a good question.
There are few topics that we should be discussing to get some understanding of how to proceed with the vaccination:

1. What vaccine to pick that potentially have less autoimmune side effects if none of them passed Phase 3 safety clinical trials and the information about side effects/safety is incomplete and none of them are tested in cancer patients. There are adenovirus based , mRNA and Peptide types of vaccines - they might have different side effects.

2. How vaccination can interfere with the treatments that our patients are undergoing

3. If the patients are undergoing or already had the immunotherapy with immune-checkpoints inhibitors - are they at increased risk for the autoimmune side effects, esp. if they already have some autoimmune side effects and their immune system is out of balance? No information re. side effects in ppl with the autoimmune diseases.
On the other hand the same questions apply when the danger to get Covid is considered.

Most of this does not apply to you, so basically you are closer to the general population than most of our patients. What is your current status - are you considered NED (no evidence of disease)?
Olga
tanya

Post by tanya »

Hi Olga,

The exact same query. My son 26y is under follow ups for last 10years with no significant interval changes in nodules in his lungs.

We are in a dilemma reg the vaccine?
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

We have already had few patients vaccinated by now and it seems there was no obvious influence on their cancer status. If your son is not under any treatment, perhaps there is no limitation for him to be vaccinated. On the other hand, I want to caution that if the possible lung mets are surveyed, they have to be compared not one to the next one, but with the interval one - i.e. yoy - to see the real growth.
Olga
tanya

Post by tanya »

Thank you so much Olga. This is really helpful.
🙏

Return to “Guest Book”